16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Need Help with A5/Remington 11
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:59 am  Reply with quote

Would any of you A5 and Remington Model 11 experts out there be able to help me with this:

On this particular Remington 11, the shell in the magazine is prematurely released during firing, lodging under the bolt, and blocking it so the fired shell cannot be ejected. That shell from the magazine is trapped under the bolt and over the shell lifter. When loading the magazine, the shell retainer seems to be doing it's job, but somehow the shell in the magazine is released too early during firing. To free the action, I have to take something fairly stiff but slim (I use the ignition key from my car), slip it beside the shell lifter and push the trapped loaded shell back into the magazine, whereupon the shell retainer again seems to be doing it's job. Then I can pull the bolt back using the operating rod and eject the empty. I can manually cycle the action with shells and feeding seems normal!

I'm guessing some feature of the action, intended to hold the shell in the magazine until the bolt is all the way back, and then release the shell in the magazine at the right time, is worn out so under the impact or recoil of the shot, it releases the shell in the magazine way too early. Has this happened to any of you? What was the fix? I tend to condemn the shell retainer, but it seems to look OK and work the way it should when loading the magazine and manually cycling a number of loaded shells through the magazine and the action. However, something is prematurely releasing that shell from the magazine during firing. If you know, please let me know.

Thanks for your help,
Tony
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

You can use numbered drills to insure the stop pin is not worn.

Also you can Replace #27

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/remington/shotguns-rem/11-2

or 26, 27, 28 and 28 they are cheap and one postage

Mike

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks skeetx. Those sound like likely areas to pursue. I am away from home and the gun for a few days, so it will take me a little while to try your suggestions.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

Locking block latch?
J73C11
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

I had the same problem on a Remington 11. In my case the cartridge stop was not fully rotating, as it was extremely dirty. I took it apart and really cleaned the part. No more problems.
J73C11
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

I had the same problem on a Remington 11. In my case the cartridge stop was not fully rotating, as it was extremely dirty. I took it apart and really cleaned the part. No more problems.
double vision
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:44 am  Reply with quote

Good luck, Tony. I have nothing to add other than my M11 never seems to miss a beat. I have a very skilled old-school Amish gunsmith who knows how to keep it running.

The one time I had trouble he quickly took care of it. I was out in South Dakota about 10 years ago and my M11 locked up tight with the bolt open. When I returned I took it to my guy and he told me whoever reblued the gun (Ahlman's) made the mistake of not taking out the composite bolt buffer. It then degraded and a chunk broke away and seized the action. He had a bunch in a drawer and riveted a new one in place. The Browning Auto-5's didn't have the buffer, but it's something to consider when rebluing a Rem. 11.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Dave Erickson et al. I knew I could count on help from members of the 16 Gauge Society. And Dave, I knew about that bolt buffer, and have seen some crumbly ones, but until you mentioned it, I had not foreseen the need to remove that buffer before a re-blue job. Thanks to you, the need to do so is now quite obvious! Somewhere along the line this is bound to save me some trouble.

Cheers!
Tony