16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Winchester compression formed
Benjo
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:44 am  Reply with quote

Stumbled across these while looking at Auctions.

I have no connection, maybe someone is interested.

If they were low brass and 1 ounce it would be another story.

https://www.proxibid.com/Winchester-Western-16ga-2-3-4-inch-Ammo/lotInformation/54606662

Stay Safe

--Benjo

Remington 870 (3)
Tru-Test SxS
H&R Model 88
J C Higgins Model 20
RLR390
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:21 am  Reply with quote

Heavy loads in #9 shot are an odd load, IMO. Nice hulls for reloading but other than burning up on trap or skeet and reloading the MT's would be my choice if I bought them!
4setters
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

RLR, you are right about them being an odd load. In the 70s a local country hardware had a couple of cases of Western 16 gauge high brass 9s for a very low price (to get rid of them). I bought a lot of them for next to nothing. I wanted the hulls as much as anything for reloading (Upland CFs were just coming out about this time, so I was still using the old Mark V hulls a lot). I did shoot some of them at the abundant bobwhite quail at the time, but did not like them--them seemed to be good crippling loads, even on quail.

What I did use them for was shooting crippled ducks on the water. Crippled mallards often assume a very low profile on the water, and can outswim a good lab in some circumstances, particularly brushy flooded timber. And several hunters can put more than one cripple on the water at a time, while a dog can only retrieve one at a time. I found the HV 9s did a real good job of killing cripples on the water with head shots. Remember this was back in the day of lead shot for ducks. So I always kept about a half dozen in my hunting coat for this purpose. Even doing this, it took a while to burn through all of them I bought!

Oddly, I have hunted with a guy who swears by HV lead 9s for pheasants (12 gauge). While I am fully on board with those who state that a killing shot on a pheasant involves pellets in the neck or head, I am not on board with using lead 9s to do it! IMO

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

4setters wrote:
Oddly, I have hunted with a guy who swears by HV lead 9s for pheasants (12 gauge). While I am fully on board with those who state that a killing shot on a pheasant involves pellets in the neck or head, I am not on board with using lead 9s to do it! IMO

We have a member here who uses HV lead 9's in 16ga and very light charges of them at that, but he is a very high above average shot with many years' experience with them. I'm in the camp of size 7 or larger shot for the larger birds, just personal preference given my abilities.

DanLee
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:42 am  Reply with quote

Those look like the skeet loads Winchester used to put up for the 16-gauge fans. Somewhere on the box it should say "Target." There's no speed limit in skeet, unlike trap, so the heavy dram equivalent is of no matter.