16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Gundog Magazine 16 ga Article
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:02 am  Reply with quote

The September 2020 Gundog magazine has a writeup under their shotgun report on page 34 titled "Ode to the16 Gauge". Fairly decent article on the 16 ga, but I find it a bit strange that it completely ignores my favorite, the 16 ga in a well balanced, quick handling side by side. The author seems to be a big fan of the over/under.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:18 am  Reply with quote

Everyone's got to be something.

Which means, for us fans of the 16 ga sxs, more guns for us to choose from and lower prices when we choose to buy.

I always get a kick out of the reaction of people when I let them try my French 16 ga sxs. It's usually some combination of eyes getting way big, jaw dropping and "Wow" being all they can say. Often followed by a big smile and saying something along the lines of "now I understand what you're talking about" or "now I understand your enthusiasm".

double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:20 am  Reply with quote

A 16 gauge SxS is the classic upland shotgun imho. If one is an "aimer" they can be frustrating.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I agree I own many Classic American & German Best 16 gauge double guns, and not one is a O/U. The article was a good one however and it made me consider purchasing a new Riz 16 O/U, for the 1st time in many many years. I really like the engraving on that particular gun. Unfortunately I did not like the weight of the new Riz 16 gauge O/U gun, so I passed on the purchase. Purchased a Pre 13 00, 20 gauge instead, definitely made the right choice for my Grouse, Woodcock and Mearns Quail hunting.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers