16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Browning 16 ga prewar ejector
stevesavage
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Browning A5 barrel with a prewar type ejector. Can I safely use this barrel on a 1962 model Browning A5? By prewar I mean an ejector that doesn’t slide, mounted in one position. Hope I don’t have extractor and ejectors mixed up. Thanks in advance.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs//viewtopic.php?f=53&t=79647

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

As skeettx provided you with a good article there are some things that I have found out through personal experiences. One never assume that the fixed ejector makes it a 2 9/16 barrel, unless you bought it new from browning. (Measure chamber). Never assume that a sliding ejector is a 2 3/4 chamber barrel. I have a 2 9/16 chamber barrel with a sliding ejector. I shoot 2 1/2 inch shells in the barrel and what most assume is a2 3/4(sliding) ejector works just fine with the 2 1/2” shells.
stevesavage
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

The prewar barrel is stamped 2 3/4 inches. Looks like factory marking. I am thing of trying it but don’t want to damage the shotgun.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

Assuming the receiver is 2 3/4 and the barrel says 16/70 in oval correct? The shell may not eject or the worst would be a broken ejector. Replacements are available. If you load a shell in the chamber does it eject ok when pulling bolt handle to the rear?
stevesavage
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

Markings on the barrel checked out correctly. Unfired shells ejected ok. I test fired the barrel with Remington Express factory loads. Shells fired and ejected perfectly, no problems. Thanks again for all the help.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

Glad to hear it worked out. Nothing like the auto 5. Not that we will ever know, but I have several auto 5’s and on some of them there are changes that don’t line up with any printed proof out there to explain it. I know changes were made by FN that were either earlier or sometimes later then all the books say they happened.I have researched a lot and believe that back in the day when most of the early guns were made the gunsmith putting one together used what he had and made it work. Some of the changes were not John Browning’s ideas. The platform was his and is amazing, but some pretty sharp gunsmiths had input and made changes that we now see on the old auto 5’s. Either way best shotgun every made. Will never be one made again as good.