16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  870 Wingmaster barrels and chokes
kgb
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:03 am  Reply with quote

I've owned a 20ga Magnum 870 but never a 16ga, a 28ga version was on the list when looking for a gun in that boring but an Ithaca showed up first.

I've owned two Model 31 16's and both had larger than standard bores along with plenty of constriction in their Full choke barrels. Those of you with 870's, have you discovered what they typically bored them to and what measure of constriction they give to each of the common choke designations? I'm looking at guns from the 1970s, maybe 1980s of fixed choke design.

If not having actual measurements, I'll gladly read of your patterning results with any particular shells as the real measurement of "choke".

Kirk

browningsweet161977
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:04 am  Reply with quote

I don't have a older 870 but do have 3 newer style with choke tubes. The bore on all measure .670 so I don't know if that was remingtons standard bore size for 16 gauge. I would have to measure again but I know full measures .640 and I think ic is like .655 or .660 which might differ from fixed choke guns. Hopefully someone will chime in and give you some measurements.

Browning citori grade 6 28" 16 gauge
case 1775
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:26 am  Reply with quote

some of my older 870 barrels are way overbored, but the newer ones (from the 70s) are normal.

kgb
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

Took my gauge around today and among the 12ga 870s found one 16ga with a Mod choke. Bore is .671" and constriction just touches .017" which is probably about right as I used to have that constriction in a barrel that would give 65% with my reloads.