16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Iver Johnson
Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:49 am  Reply with quote

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/shotguns-american-double/iver-johnson-16-gauge-sxs.cfm?gun_id=101468183

Does anyone follow these? Interesting action with the dolls head type rib extension.

hayseed
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:58 am  Reply with quote

I have an Iver Johnson single shot and there are loads of them around. Can’t say I’ve ever seen a SxS Iver.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:02 pm  Reply with quote

Seen ‘em, handled ‘em, shot ‘em. I’d have a hard time parting with $1200 for one. They run heavy, have seen more then one that was off face.

Kudos to the seller, he covered everything a guy would need to know.

Best,
Ted

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:17 am  Reply with quote

Kind of a cool gun but I wouldn't think there'd be much market for a 7-1/2 pound 16ga.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Researcher
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:50 am  Reply with quote

The gun was the design of William O. Barnes, Patent No. 1,131,984 granted Mar. 16, 1915, and Patent No. 1,137,045 granted Apr. 27, 1915.

In the 1919 Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works catalog the gun is offered in 12-gauge only. At this time they were using mono-bloc barrels.

My 1924 Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works catalog has a paste-in adding the 16- & 20-gauge and .410-bore. Also, in the 1924 catalog they call it the Hercules Grade. By this catalog they are using chopper-lump barrels.

By the 1929 Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works catalog they added the option of automatic ejectors and a 12-gauge vent ribbed, beavertail forearm version called the Iver Johnson Hammerless Supertrap. Offerings the same in the 1931-2 catalog.

The next Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works catalog I have is April 25, 1935. It includes the SKEET-ER version. The regular gun is still called the Hercules Grade. An undated brochure I have on the SKEET-ER includes records of some big shoots it won in 1933, 1934 and 1935.

Offerings are the same in the 1937 Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works catalog.

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:51 am  Reply with quote

I’m sorry to have missed this post as it is a precious topic to me. When I refer to “my big double” or “my Bo Whoop” in many of my hunting stories, I’m speaking of my beast of an Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works 3” mag 12 gauge. It’s a Mod/Full 28” barrel double trigger in the 2.5” DAH range and probably weighs 8+ lbs.

I’ve never held a sixteen Iver but I can see the utility of a gun that works well off the knee sitting on a bucket or at the base of a tree. Toting mine can be a pain but is worth it if I have a destination. Imagining my Iver in 16 with the benefit of a square load activates the imagination.

Reno

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:20 am  Reply with quote

we've had a couple skeeters go around here in the past but not recent ... mine , alas is a single barrel that someone must have shot a turkey load out of . pretty much blew the stock up . took one splinter apart at a time and re-epoxied till they were all filled . it's now the camp gun .... good to see you posting again RENO !!

16'er
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:50 am  Reply with quote

It seems like every Iver Johnson single barrel shotgun I've have ever seen has had stock issues...
jswanson
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

My first game gun was an Iver Jonson champion in 16 ga. A family gun belonging to a cousin. Strong connection to the 16 ga. Uncle Bill had a sweet 16, cousins bill, Kieth, ken, and hugh all had savage 37 in 16. Keith especially like the 37 him being a lefty. Wish I still.had the champion would like to pass it along.