16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Super Crown Crimp Starter by BP
Ducks Rx
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

Looking to buy A Super Crown Crimp Starter by Ballistic Products. Fits 10, 12, 16 gauge mec single stage reloader prefer 8 point but could use 6 point. Please email
bjtea@charter.net
Thanks. Bruce
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

This one?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1834640006
Ducks Rx
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:52 am  Reply with quote

That is it. Thanks for link. BP is out stock on 8 point
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:22 am  Reply with quote

What are you crimping? I have one from BP. I wasn't impressed. If your doing new Cheddite hulls you don't need it on a mec single stage. The plastic crimp starter works just fine.
casebro
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:45 am  Reply with quote

Much as I like machined brass, I see no use for that product. Unless it fits a 366, for those who don't have a lathe- When I made parts to change a Hornady 366 to 16ga, I used a long machine screw modified to hold the Mec plastic pre-crimp.

I've also learned that it is not necessary to pre-crimp on used hulls, and that you can't change the number of crimps on used hulls.

Also, I figure a 6pt crimp takes up a little more space in the hull- same amount of plastic spread across fewer crimps leaves more plastic to extend into the shot.

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

casebro,

You say you don't need to crimp start fired hulls?

Could you explain?

casebro
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:02 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
casebro,

You say you don't need to crimp start fired hulls?

Could you explain?

Before I hooked up the 366 press, I used a Mec 650 Junior. I could do a box in 4 1/2 minutes. It helped the speed to skip that first 'pleating' station. Old hulls already have pleats pretty much ironed in, Right? They don't disappear on the de-prime station. There is enough left that when forced into the internal cone on the next station the folds will form neatly. Usually.

(8 minutes is my good time for the 366, I got it to save om arm strokes. Muscle endurance problem. Slow and steady makes it work, and one stroke per shell beats eight. )

The gismo above is sharper, which may be an advantage on virgin hulls. "More precise" is just gilding the lilly. The molds used to form the plastic parts are spot on. And I can't see the Spindex working better in heavy brass vs light slipperier plastic.

If you just have to have the latest and greatest technology, what are you doing shooting 16 ga to begin with? Smile

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

casebro,

Ya' know, I tried it on my Sizemaster. Not too bad. The crimp was a bit off center and there was a hole in the middle of the crimp, but not big enough to leak shot. Overall I am sure it would be just fine.

I used a typical 1 oz. load using 20.5 grains of Universal, a Z2M 16 wad and 7.5 shot.

Personally, I wouldn't shortcut the crimp starter, but it is obvious that you can.

Something to tuck away and remember.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

As an after thought.......this info might be useful with Remington RGL's (heck they don't open up much anyway) and maybe Harten crimps!!??

Purple16
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

I have a couple of these crimp starters both 6 and 8 point on my MEC single stage presses. I really like them. They work great for new hulls. Not really needed for fired hulls but do work good if you line up the memory with the starter.
Glad I have mine.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Do they work equally as well as the metal crimp starters on a P-W 800?
My 366 doesn't pre crimp virgin hulls very well.

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

Mark Twain
DanLee
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

I have them, but as others have stated, the factory plastic crimp starter works just as well on new hulls. They don't work as well on previously fired hulls as the plastic starters because they lack the ridges that guide the starter into place.