16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  ITX Non-toxic shot
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:04 am  Reply with quote

I don't know why anyone would want to use something as slow as Alliant Steel in a 16 gauge 1 ounce load of anything. How about somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 to 20 grains of Unique/Universal/Unequal/20-28 under a wad column with some compliance as opposed to the rock-hard totally un-compliant PT1680, in a nice new smooth straight-walled Reiffenhauser-type hull such as the Cheddite or others. One could go to Herco, 800-X, Blue Dot, HS-6, HS-7 (Winchester 571) or even Longshot long before resorting to Alliant Steel in a one-ounce 16 gauge load.

Wads? -- Try the B&P TC-16, or one of the Gualandi SP's. or at least cannibalize them for their over-powder and cushion areas, and use them with a shot sleeve if you're really worried about barrel damage.

Barrel damage with ITX-10? Maybe I'm whistling in the the dark, but I'd have to see that. I haven't seen it yet. If one was really concerned about barrel scratching with ITX-10, probably a well trimmed thin Mylar sleeve would provide the necessary protection without unduly increasing peak pressures. I cut such sleeves from overhead projector slides or some file folders/sleeves. I use these sleeves with other hard shot (steel and tungsten alloys, etc) and see no barrel damage. BPI also sells some fairly thin Mylar sleeves. They need to be trimmed to size. I stay away from the thick Mylar sleeves from BPI as I find them pretty clumsy to use.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:50 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:36 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know why anyone would want to use something as slow as Alliant Steel in a 16 gauge

Several reasons. First, the 16 ga has less volumetric efficiency than the 12 ga and thus requires correspondingly slower powders.

Second, when using wads like the PT1680, there is no cushioning or compliance at ignition, resulting in higher pressure unless a slower powder is used.

Third, with the ITX-10/PT1680 loads I tried, even Longshot exceeded pressure thresholds at moderate muzzle velocities. Alliant Steel was the only alternative that gave lower pressures at medium to high muzzle velocities.

As far as using conventional wads with ITX-10 instead of thick shot cups like the PT1680, I would venture that the reason for not using conventional wads with ITX-10 is the same as not using conventional wads with steel shot. However that is merely a supposition, as I have no hard evidence in that regard.

B.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

I've used ITX 4's and 2's on ducks in a 12 with a stout 2.75" load from their ITX manual, using Longshot, and it absolutely clobbered wild mallards with a full choked Husky a couple years ago. I haven't had the chance to work up similar loads in a 16 yet however.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."