16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  2020 hunting season 16 gauge attack, what's yours?
Newtonian_Guy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

Location: The Great Rustbelt, otherwise known as Northeastern Ohio

Already been out to the preserve with my Sterlingworth and Gunner, my 14 mo. old Brittany. Next wednesday will be the Ithaca NID at the Homestead preserve for roosters. Then back to the Sterlingworth at Bullseye preserve for quail.

I might drag out the old Zavodi Crvena Zastava to see if it can hold its own against the NID and the Sterly. Laughing Laughing

Zavasta M75 16 Bore
Ithaca NID 16 Bore
Fox Sterlingworth 16 Bore
Franchi Falconet O/U 12 Bore
2 Antonio Zoli Field Grade 12 Bore
Ithaca Model 100 12 Bore
fourtrax
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:27 am  Reply with quote

Been tromping around committing 28 ga for a few weeks. After the hunting partner
had an "attack grouse" yesterday will be switching to the 16 ga Belgian guild gun today.

6 1/2 mo old Pup had a hard point going on a grouse and had likely accidently pinned the grouse between the hunting partner & himself about 30 ft apart. On the flush the bird rose straight up then leveled off and flew straight at the hunters head! Partner ducked and grouse glanced off his gun bbl and continued on. Partner shot at it but was a bit discombobulated! My side is still hurting from LMAO! Not many survivors of a grouse attack out there.

With the leaf drop here and dry noisy conditions I am upping the gun mojo a little with the open choked belgian. 5 1/2 lb 16 ga sxs. choked skt1 & skt 2.

nj gsp
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

That happened to me last week. My dog was on point 15 yards away, he bird got up from between is quartering away and as I was bringing the gun up, the bird did a hard 90 and came straight at my head. I could have swatted him with the barrels too! I spun as he went by, and fired just as it made another hard bank to the right around a fir tree.

The fir tree absorbed the shot, and the bird got away.

I talked to a guy at camp that said he's seen this a lot more in recent years, perhaps the birds are evolving their escape tactics!
Ken
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

Leaving for the U.P. on the 16th. Franchi Instinct SL and an Lefever Nitro Special as the back up gun. This will be my second trip there, first was in 06.
Tom Shaffer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

Tomorrow is the Grouse opener here in PA...…. for the first time in 27yrs I won't be taking a Springer with me, and the first time in 11 years with out my Irish Setter...…..

don't matter much what gun I take.