16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Patterning Steel Shot
Little Creek
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone patterned steel shot in various chokes? My impression is that steel does not disperse like lead or bismuth shot. I use Kent Fast steel shotshells which I believe are higher quality. I have steel proof choke tubes in the guns i use with steel shot. I know the actual measured constrictions of these tubes.
df
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

I have not pattered any steel shot. My understanding through reading, is that steel patterns tighter than lead. The reason is because steel deforms far less (if at all) than lead. The deformation of lead shot causes it not fly as straight, thus opening the pattern.
John Singer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:27 am  Reply with quote

I have patterned a great deal of steel shot.

One observation is that smaller shot sizes tend to throw more open patterns than larger shot sizes. This effect is much more pronounced with steel than with lead.

Also, high velocity loads do not necessarily pattern poorly.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:11 am  Reply with quote

I have patterned quite a lot.

It disperses a bit different than lead, less of a defined core especially when using open chokes and smaller shot. Velocity changes don't change much. Larger sizes do better with less choke than smaller sizes. There are times when it seems to have small grouos of 4 or 5 pellets, especially at the edges of the core.

My take away is the same as lead or Bismuth, you have to center the target whether feathered or clay.

Little Creek
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:50 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

I have used only one gun with steel for years...a Beretta 686 O/U. I use Mod /Mod Mobil chokes measuring about .022 in each barrel. The gun has taken many geese, brant, and crane, using BB to #3 shot at sometimes surprising distances, so I have no qualms about using steel.

The next chapter is shooting ptarmigan while I am in a place I hunt primarily geese. I don't want to shoot them with a full choke load of duces...

That's why I am curious about open chokes and patterns with steel.

For starters, I bought a box of #6 steel and may use cylinder and improved cylinder chokes.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:32 am  Reply with quote

Improved cylinder sounds good. As in 0.008" to 0.010".

I have never hunted ptarmigan so this 'advice' Embarassed Embarassed is worth what you paid for it.....

Not sure how far these ptarmigan are going to be or how tough they are to kill, but I would not go with a true cylinder bore choke if the shots are past 25 yards when using #6's. Steel 6's pattern a lot like lead shot without the energy. If the birds are close #6 might get it done. 30 yards or farther I think you will want a larger pellet size. Maybe think about #4's or #5's.

I haven't been all that impressed, hunting with steel shot until you get to #4's or larger for ducks, pheasants etc. I kinda like #3's the best.

Most of my hunting with steel has been using a 12 gauge Beretta Onyx I/C ("0.007") & Modified (0.018"). Ducks and geese over decoys using #3's & BB's respectively. And some pheasant hunts using #3, #5 & #6.....same chokes. The Steel 5's & 6's were worthless as far as I could determine on all but the closest pheasants.

Little Creek
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:44 am  Reply with quote

I am also thinking of using #6 shot on crippled geese and ducks on the water. Brant, for example, will swim right away from your dog...
3drahthaars
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

Just stumbled on this topic and thought I'd add my $.02.

I patterned a LOT of steel back in the days when there weren't many factory options of decent performance.

My self rolled load of choice for my 12 Beretta 390, SK choke was #3s at 1490fps. I cannot remember the payload weight off hand. But, I will say that #3 was the compromise between pellets per payload and total pellet count and lethality.

With steel speed kills, but anything over 1500fps in a Beretta could not hold a decent pattern... so, bore size is a factor that can limit speed and thus lethality.

I was averaging 115 pellets in a 30in diameter circle at 30 yards, equally spaced.

And, ultimately I had an in-situ test where I hit a wood duck that instantly hit a tree and paced the shot at 45yards with 3 pass through hits of the #3 steel pellets.

Hope this helps...

3ds
Emtymag
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

Depending on your guns bore size, I would shoot a LM, MOD, IM. With 1 1/4oz of #3 at about 1450fps. I’ve killed more ducks of many sizes at many ranges than I care to admit with this load.