16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Biggest Barrier to 16 Gauge Resurgence?
nj gsp
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

I was at a Cabela's yesterday and was admiring a Franchi Instinct SL in 16 gauge. It's only 5-1/2 lbs and put together pretty well. Felt pretty stiff, but from what I hear it takes about 1000 rounds to break them in. Really nice gun at $1500, and I considered buying it, but I don't have much use for it as I have a Superlight Feather that gets all my attention for upland birds.

I picked up a few boxes of 16 gauge here and there in the last week or so when the price was right, but Cabela's doesn't have anything for ammo in 16 gauge. Not one box, and didn't look like it had much in the way of shelf space for it either.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:43 am  Reply with quote

nj gsp,

Sounds like a nice little gun, I kind of like them myself. However my taste runs more to the 16 gauge L.C. Smith #5 gun. Unfortunately they are not $1,500 the are 15,000 now, but man they are serious Grouse guns! Each to his own.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
salish
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

This was a very interesting thread. Now if you REALLY want to be depressed try owning a short chambered 16 gauge like me. I have quite a few RST lead shells but no non-tox exists that I can find. I have a 1917 Model 12 I like to hunt with and I'm thinking about having the chamber lengthened to 2-3/4" so I can have an easier time finding shells.

Cliff
Seattle
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Cliff
The Remington ammo is shorter than the rest of the 2 3/4 ammo and should
work well in the Model 12

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/remington-nitro-steel-high-velocity-16ga-2-3-4-15-16-oz

Mike

salish
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:46 am  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Cliff
The Remington ammo is shorter than the rest of the 2 3/4 ammo and should
work well in the Model 12

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/remington-nitro-steel-high-velocity-16ga-2-3-4-15-16-oz

Mike

Thanks Mike. It looks good but I don't tink I can use steel shot in a 103 year old full choke barrel. Appreciate the heads up, though.

UPDATE: I searched RST last night and see that they currently ARE stocking the 2.5" 16ga Bismuth shells in #6 now. They have been unavailable for so long I stopped looking. The bad news - $65.00 a box not counting shipping. Shipping is something like $18.00 so we're looking at $83.00 for a box of 25 shells. That's not going to happen, not even as a one-time lark. That's ok, I have two other 2-3/4" Sixteens. But if I get serious about non-tox for the short chambered gun it's definitely going to be a reloading situation. Or else get the chamber lengthened for 2-3/4".

Cliff
Seattle
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

salish,

Clif I use the RST 2 1/2" bismuth shells in #6 also, they work great in my L.C. Smith double guns. I purchased a case of RST/Poly SpredR's from Lion Country Supply at a reasonable cost and have a couple boxes of bismuth shells thrown in the case.

Call Lion Country supply and see what kind of deal you can get with them shipping the shells right to your door. For right around $100.00 I usually get a case of shells delivered right to my door in the back woods.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:48 am  Reply with quote

salish ... oddly enough , back a few yrs , the best pot hole gun I ever used was a M12 20ga with short chamber and 25'' full choke . never a problem or worry , and back then no one really knew about the chambers being short !! 23/4 '' steel shot loads !! never did anything to the gun . still have that barrel .... on the same note , have a cherry M25 12 ga win that someone probably shot 4 or 5 steels thru and that choke is ringed . Damaged , doubt it , just a bit tighter full than it started .... get some 21/2 rst's , get a 7/8 lead load , put in the same vol bismuth , and blast away !!!

salish
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek Dave & 16gaDavis,

Ive been away from the board dealing with life, sorry for my late response. I appreciate your help. I've managed to limp through the season thus far using what non-tox shells I have on hand for my 16ga & 20ga guns. I was initially planning on using the full choked Model 12 I mentioned earlier as a small pond duck gun, but I've been hunting upland all of the time with my other vintage guns, in areas where non-tox is sometimes not an issue. I certainly appreciate your tips on RST, etc.

Cliff
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Cliff,

When ever you do need more Bismuth shells for your Classic double guns I highly recommend the RST Bismuth, they work great in the Classic American and Best Euro double guns. The #6's are just fantastic on Woodies and I have also killed a few Grouse with them while hunting both birds on the same outing. Seriously great 2 1/2" shells, I am grateful to RST for making them. Their traditional lead SpredR's are fantastic also. I took another Grouse with my 20 gauge L.C. Smith just prior to Thanksgiving, the #8's really work seriously well, even shooting thru the trees and Grape vines. I do like their shells, and recommend them highly, especially if you are shooting Classic double guns. The Poly SpredR's are great also and just slightly less expensive. I give full credit to RST however for the development and marketing of the 2 1/2" SpredR's and the 2 1/2" Bismuth shells, Poly got in on the act a little later and as of this time they do not make Bismuth that I know about. Their lead 2 1/2" SpredR's work great also.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

RST & Poly shells work great out of either the 16 Gauge Westley Richards Drop Lock or the 20 Gauge 00, L.C. Smith side lock. Good Classic double guns digest the RST & Poly shells perfectly, producing great Grouse killing patterns.

Sporting Days
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

I broke out an old box of RST 16 gauge Nice Shot #5s this past holiday weekend. Who remembers Nice Shot? My 1970s-era Vincenzo Bernardelli made its California duck hunting debut on a cold, clear day in the Sacramento Valley wetlands.

It was a short morning hunt with my kids (junior hunters still) and not much action to speak of but Vinny barked once and a hen gadwall came crashing down, which was my highlight of the day. Don't expect Vinny to see any more waterfowling action. He/it's configured for upland duty with a straight stock, double triggers and the like. Fun to have it out in the marsh, however.
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

Sporting Days wrote:
I broke out an old box of RST 16 gauge Nice Shot #5s this past holiday weekend. Who remembers Nice Shot? My 1970s-era Vincenzo Bernardelli made its California duck hunting debut on a cold, clear day in the Sacramento Valley wetlands.

It was a short morning hunt with my kids (junior hunters still) and not much action to speak of but Vinny barked once and a hen gadwall came crashing down, which was my highlight of the day. Don't expect Vinny to see any more waterfowling action. He/it's configured for upland duty with a straight stock, double triggers and the like. Fun to have it out in the marsh, however.

Too bad Nice Shot faded away. I think I still have a couple kilos of both #4 and #5 on my bench. Should probably get rid of it as I'm not a waterfowler and have a bunch of Kent TM, Bismuth and a few other types of non-tox factory ammo squirreled away for when the inevitable comes.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh