16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New Sweet 16 vs original
Beagleman
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, when was it that God told you only 2 shots? Congratulations on being a big deal.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:07 pm  Reply with quote

Beagleman,

Never been a big deal, and as usual I am teasing about the guns. Although 2 shots is enough in the Grouse woods.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
dwr353
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Great posts guys. Unfortunately I have been laid up since Oct 30 with a leg injury helping a friend clear hurricane downed trees. Had minor surgery done to hopefully get me walking soon. I have to miss an Ok duck and goose hunt I booked next weekend. Our second split is Dec 18th. That is now the goal. My Sweet 16 is waiting.
4setters
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

PC/D, Two shots is enough? Obviously you still don't wake up in a cold sweat, dreaming about an incident from the UP in the mid-90s. We were hunting a berry patch that grouse liked to feed in one afternoon when a grouse flushed and flew across the tote road in front of me. Snap shot at with my 16 Citori (a 2 shot gun, by the way) and missed, and missed with the second barrel at a grouse right behind the first one. Three more grouse flew across the road, single file, as I struggled to reload the Citori, all safely. Probably a hen with a brood. Aaaaraarrarrrgrrggrrrhrrrrhhhh.

Does anyone else ever remember missed shots more than successful shots at game?

By the way, I've checked several translations, and God told Peter to "Rise, kill and eat" including "birds of the heavens". . . that were let down in a sheet (a net?)--No mention of a double barrel shotgun that I can find (Acts 10:12, 13).

Keep after those PA grouse, good luck!

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

4setters,

Man I have missed your posts lately, great stuff! It's obvious the old man has not talked to you directly about his wishes on double guns and Grouse hunting. Hang in there it will happen.

As a matter of fact under a snow cover laurel bush in the West Va mountains I killed the 1st Grouse coming up, missed the 2nd as 4 more Grouse took flight one at a time. I stood with empty double gun, trying to reload, it was just God protecting the majority of his favorite Game Birds. 2 shot is all he allows at a Grouse Covert, pump guns and Semi-auto are cheating.

During my life time I have seen to men take 3 Grouse with their double guns, both my Father and George Ryman were the men I saw do it when I was just a boy, never saw anybody else who was able to accomplish it. Ken Davies almost dropped the 3rd Grouse, he was able to load and fire, but the Grouse did not go down.

I was almost able to shoot 3 Quail with one of my L.C. Smith double guns in AZ, and man I wanted that Mearns Quail loafer real bad. It just did not go down.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

4setters
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

PC/Dave, Sounds like pleasant dreams to me! At least you got the first one!

You mention Mearn's. Met a Colorado (now) bird hunting friend of my youth in AZ about 3 years ago and we hunted a few days. I was toting my new A5 Browning Sweet 16 (the subject of this original thread!). First stop, stepped on a bird and snapped on him as he went over my right shoulder.

It doesn't matter how many barrels one has or how many shells one puts in the magazine, if one doesn't load a shell into the chamber(s).

Fortunately, I had a shell in the chamber later on.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23vjeM3] [/url]mearns2 (2) by Michael Widner, on Flickr

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:09 am  Reply with quote

4Setters,

Beautiful Picture buddy, they do not get any better! You will answer to the old man for using the Semi-auto, I am sure of it.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Sporting Days
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:19 am  Reply with quote

Question for Pine Creek/Dave.

How did you get that coin/white finish on your 16 gauge L.C. Smith? Weren't they all case-colored originally?

I've got a 16 gauge LC Ideal in the gun safe I"m keeping around at some point for a restoration project. Checking with Turnbull and some others, they only restore to original case coloring, won't do a silver/coin finish, etc.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

Sporting Days,

My guns with the Silver Breech were special made, the breech work was sent to my Great Grandfather, before the breech was assembled, he was 1/3 owner of JL&B Steel in Pittsburgh, Pa. A Special process was developed there, and the Breech works were coated with Silver to make the guns as you see them in some of the pictures. The breeches were then returned to Hunter Arms to finish the guns. All other Hunter Arms L.C. Smith guns are made with the original Hunter Arms process of case coloring. There is no way to make your original case colored L.C. Smith guns into what you have seen in my pictures. Even the restorers will not try to duplicate the process. It would cost a fortune today to duplicate that special process.

The Silver Breech gun set was made for my Grandfathers 13th birthday, the set consists of a 12, 16, 20 and .410 that was made later for my Great Grandmother.

These were the only L.C. Smith guns made with the true Silver Breech work.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Sporting Days
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

Wow. Pretty remarkable story. And what a gun. Thanks for sharing Pine Creek/Dave.