16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Anybody use this collar yet
frenchbritt
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

I have used the Dogtra 2500 T&B for several years now. I have no complaints. It is a very durable unit and I like the point only mode. I run my dogs with a bell and use the point only mode. My dogs never get more than 60 yards and the beeper makes it easy to find my Britt and my Shorthair in heavy cover.
3birddogs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

I have no problems with the range on my collars--and I live in a very hilly area. Also hunted the plains of Kansas-no problems. My setters are not big runners, although out of grouse trial bloodlines, so certainly not boot polishers.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:49 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019,

The 1450RAPT is not the same as the 2000 and before Dogtra T&B collars it has very limited range and a much different controller. I agree with you this collar is for dogs that have a very short hunting range. The older T&B collars like the 1800's and the 2000 models are much better. You really can not compare the 1450RAPT and the older T&B collar, the older collars are so much better in every way. The 1450RAPT is way less expensive which shows up in its abilities to train and range control. The design of the hand held controller is not to my liking what so ever, the engineering idea of wearing the controller on the masters hand while hunting is a looser, it interferes with a hunters gun handling.

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

manofthewoods
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

sorry, only slightly off topic. I have the Dogtra Pathfinder using my Samsung smartphone. I love it. They claim a range of 9 miles. While my dog can run "big." I'll never need all of that. My hunting is either: Alone in Montana in rolling country, could be sagebrush, or - - you name it. with the pathfinder I can see how far my boy is, direction and if he's on point (or taking a poop). Multi- hundred yards is not uncommon.

Or, I hunt with a buddy for chukar in Northern Nevada - really tough country. To be fair it drives my buddy crazy having my dog run so big. So, we usually go our separate ways. Bottom line; I bought the pathfinder figuring I'd have to return it. But, still can't believe how well it works.

Enjoy your time with your dog!!!

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

Manofthewoods,

You bet Dogtra Pathfinder, another very good Dogtra product, especially for very big running gun dog.

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek grouse Dog Trainers