16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Dings in barrel
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:51 am  Reply with quote

Just received in the mail a 99-yr old Rem 1900 SxS. Supposedly had no dings in the barrels.

When I was cleaning it up I found two small spots that looked suspicious, and they did turn out to be minor dents. One is round and 1.5mm dia, the other is 3mm in length. Both show in the bore, but just barely--looked like specks of dirt that I couldn't clean out. They are 5-1/2 and 11 inches, respectively, from the muzzle.

I'm taking the gun to a qualified gunsmith tomorrow, but in the meantime, wanted to get your views.

I know it's difficult to say much without seeing them, but should I view these as inevitable, given the gun's age, or as a deal-killer, or somewhere in between?

Do any of you shoot guns with such dings?

Thanks for your help.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:39 am  Reply with quote

It is always a good choice to find a gun smith to really be sure. I have one 12g which the dent was removed from and it is visable still on the interior. I had Mike Orlen check it out and the wall thickness was enough to be fine. I think you are on the right track.
Best,
Ron
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:14 am  Reply with quote

Those are very small dents and shooting will not be a problem. Are you talking steel / damascus tubes? Are the dents near the rib / away from it? Small dents as you have that are closer to the muzzle end are not subject to a great deal of pressure. Hard to say for sure without seeing but I'd bet you have not problem.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:09 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. These are "ordnance steel" barrels and the dings are near the muzzle, and not real close to the rib.