16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Saive O/U - society donation - SPF
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:59 am  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
Beagleman wrote:
$1000
You Sir, are a true gentleman and have impeccable taste!

+1

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
16'er
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

Older thread about the proof marks on this gun:

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168077&highlight=#168077
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:00 am  Reply with quote

Just to clarify, when the gun is done in a few months or so, I had planned on posting it here and then giving everyone a few days to finalize any bids. Right now Beagleman is the high bidder at $1k.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:23 am  Reply with quote

What a great gesture!
16'er
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:21 am  Reply with quote

Any Updates?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
Any Updates?

I received word that the screws are just about done, and the ejectors are now working properly as a result. Stock has to be bent up a bit, and that's it. Hope to be receiving it in February, then a refinish and re-checker, and fix the missing wood in the forend.
Hope to have it ready in March, possibly sooner, but not likely. Fingers crossed.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

Update: I got the Super Saive back today, and I'm happy to report that the screws are fixed/replaced, and the gun works fantastic! Ejectors work now and are strong and well timed. The stock is also bent up now to modern 1.5 x 2 3/8" drop and it fits superbly. I will get to work fixing/refinishing the wood, adding a red Galazan pad, and re-bluing the barrels. . Will post photos when done, probably sometime in March. The smith I had do the work for me is Matthew Begley in Dayton, Ohio, owner of Black Diamond Gun Works LLC. Personable and easy to work with. I highly recommend him.
Wink

Rooster
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

Mark,
Most likely will be outbid but I’m in at $1200 for two reasons; I don’t have an O/U 16 and I love your idea which helps this site!

Bob

22Feb,2021
I certainly hope all of you do not think less of me but I feel I must retract the above bid.
The recent snow/weather here has caused problems with farm fencing and other related issues and any “extra funds” are sorely needed elsewhere.
I truly apologize!

Bob

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:55 am  Reply with quote

Rooster wrote:
Mark,
Most likely will be outbid but I’m in at $1200 for two reasons; I don’t have an O/U 16 and I love your idea which helps this site!

Bob

22Feb,2021
I certainly hope all of you do not think less of me but I feel I must retract the above bid.
The recent snow/weather here has caused problems with farm fencing and other related issues and any “extra funds” are sorely needed elsewhere.
I truly apologize!

Bob

No problem Bob! Totally understand. Hope to have the gun done in the next 2-3 weeks.

16'er
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:21 am  Reply with quote

Any updates Mark??
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:53 am  Reply with quote

Finished replacing the missing forearm wood, which was quite a job. I ended up having to reinforce the small wood fingers with .010 sheet steel to make them stronger. That will also allow for the application of a bit of grease on the sides of the [forearm mounted] ejector hammers, so they're not rubbing against bare wood as before, which may have led to the initial wood breakage. Checkering this week, then blending and finishing. I hope to have it done by end of the month.

Here's a pic of the forend, showing the sheet steel behind the ejector hammer:

After installing the missing wood, using biscuit joints, I ground down the checkering in that area, and filled with a thin layer of wood resin epoxy, which I'll checker over. That's a technique I've developed that prevents the joint seam from showing.

I did that on the below Husqvarna 103cs recently, which is another project gun I picked up recently. It was a pistol grip gun, badly broken in two at the wrist, with big globs of glue, screw holes, and big dovetail joints right through the middle of the wrist, painted barrels, etc. It was excellent mechanically however, and the barrels were excellent, with factory 2.75" chambers, so I decided it was worth working on. And it was listed as a 103A, but turned out to be a 103CS, which is the highest grade they made, so extra bonus! After converting to straight grip (using a long tang from another gun), and re-assembling the broken stock with a large dowel lengthwise through the wrist, I used the wood epoxy resin to cover over all the joints and holes, and checkered over it. I raised the comb 1/4", sculpted the nose of the comb, raised the toe line, and re-grained. This gun was a wreck, but looks like a million bucks now. Hopefully the Saive will look as good or better:

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

Finally done. This ended up being a ton of work, about $1k worth, but she looks good now and functions and fits perfectly! List of work done:

-Had missing screws and ejectors fixed
-Had stock bent up to 2.5" dah
-Fixed missing wood in forend using biscuit joints and .010 sheet steel reinforcement
-Re-checkered fore and aft
-Filled in various voids in the butt stock, including the rear sling swivel hole (since someone had previously removed the barrel swivel) blended the repairs and enhanced the grain in the stock
-Added Galazan pad
-Refinished the wood
-Rust blued the barrels
----------
Here's some pics:

[url=https://ibb.co/9hcdfc2] [/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/hH636py] [/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/jhhq7K7] [/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/pdJP3Xg] [/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/SfvmP1d] [/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/8j3r0pt] [/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/bX9fP5h] [/url]

To put a bow on this, I would like to re-start the bidding, and let it run for a few days. To make it fair for people on both coasts, let's give it until Tuesday March 30th at 8:30pm eastern. 15 minute rule applies. So far, Beagleman is the high bidder at $1,000. Will ship on receipt of funds from the high bidder and ffl or C&R, and I'll make the $500 society donation then. Feel free to ask questions. Thanks everyone!
Very Happy

16'er
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

The ole girl looks like she’s ready for a new life afield! Very nice work Mark!
boon hogganbeck
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

Very handsome (and tempting). What length are the barrels? Forgive if I’m overlooking that somewhere—I scrolled up but didn’t see it.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

boon hogganbeck wrote:
Very handsome (and tempting). What length are the barrels? Forgive if I’m overlooking that somewhere—I scrolled up but didn’t see it.

Barrels are 29.5" long, choked m/f, with flawless bores, no dents, 2.75" chambers, and strong, perfectly timed ejectors.