16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Buying a gun online
Cohunter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

Never bought a gun online and am looking at buying one off gun broker- how do you typically pay for a gun online? Seller has great reviews and I’ve talked to him and he sounds honest - but is asking me to send him a check or money order and I’m not sure I am completely comfortable sending him the money on his word that he is going to ship it. I like to have faith in our shotgun community but it’s still a dishonest world.
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

US Postal money order is the best way.

Send him the signed FFL when you send the MO.

Do you homework and all should be well.

Mike

nj gsp
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

I've bought a lot of guns off Gunbroker. Make sure you have a reputable FFL to work with that preferentially is registered with GB and has their FFL paperwork on file.

I don't buy guns that I can't pay for with a credit card or PayPal (also via credit card) so I have an additional layer of fraud protection. If someone wants me to send money first I get nervous unless it's a dealer/broker service.

So far, no problems, every transaction has been great.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

Cohunter,

Having purchased more than a few guns off of Guns International I Make sure the Vendor is reputable, and use my buddy who is a FFL gun shop, to have the gun shipped too, he also calls the vendor/owner before any Money order is sent. I always get a 3 day inspection period and have my FFL dealer who is my friend inspect the gun fully. I do pay with a Postal Money Order, that I know I can stop payment on, if something goes wrong. I deal directly with the Vendor/owner over the telephone when purchasing or meet him in person. If I can not talk with the vendor/owner I do not make any kind purchase. I have never had a purchase go bad yet. I purchase some pretty expensive L.C. Smith double guns, from time to time in this manner.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:04 am  Reply with quote

All good advice above.
You've already done the step of talking to the seller on the phone which is to me at the top of the todo list . I wont buy if I cant talk to them and get a detailed description with all demerits to the finishes and function from tip to tail.
Are you aware of the buyer/seller rating system on GB? If you click on the number behind the sellers name,it gives feedback that buyers and sellers post about their transactions with others.
Don't forget your responsibilities as a buyer either.Immediately send payment by whatever method you've agreed to and email the seller when you do. Ask for an email back when they receive it and then send you tracking when shipped. As soon as your ffl receives it, get in right away to inspect. Then email the seller right away whether you're totally satisfied or if there's an issue that wasn't divulged. When all is done, use the feedback system to rate your transaction. Let the seller know when you've done so and ask for the same.
All I've ever used for payment is a WF MO but you have to decide if you are comfortable with the seller,no matter the payment method. Good luck!

Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:30 am  Reply with quote

No problems here so far with online transactions but make sure your FFL dealer opens the shipping box IN YOUR PRESENCE. Learned that the hard way.

I also insist on CC or PayPal. Can’t afford to lose funds on a bad deal.

B.
Flues16
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:12 am  Reply with quote

Cohunter, I've bought quite a few guns on GunBroker and generally been satisfied.

My experience is there are few, if any, sellers that will send you a gun without getting the money first. Therefore, it is somewhat of act of faith to pay first before the gun is shipped. I prefer to pay with a credit card, but some sellers don't accept them. My second choice is a USPS money order.

I mostly buy old guns and their condition can be a little hard to determine, even with photos. I've never been totally ripped off, but occasionally the gun's condition was a little disappointing. A couple of times the gun wasn't packed properly and was damaged in shipment. However, sometimes the gun looked better than I expected.

While I'm sure it has happened, I've never heard of a GunBroker seller that took a buyer's money and didn't send the gun. Do a little research on the seller's background and talk to him before sending payment if you are concerned. Sounds like you have already done that. I have a checklist of questions that must be answered before I bid on a gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

Flues16,

I agree I have never had a vendor/owner take money and never ship a gun. If it happens on GI I am unaware of it. Several times small things have been wrong with expensive guns that I purchased, even after talking with the vendor/owner. It should not happen, however on expensive guns it some times does. The Vendor/owners payed to have the guns made right.

Now some of this damage can be expensive to correct. I always make sure before the gun is sent out, that the Vendor/owner agrees to pay and waves the 3 day inspection period while the gun is repaired, this repair bill and everything runs thru the FFL gun shop also, so there is a record of what has transpired.

In reality none of these Vendor/Owners want a bad reputation on GI. If the word gets around that a Vendor is not reputable it ruins his gun sales and destroys his business. Further GI then takes action against the Vendor/Owner. I do not know how Gun Broker works, have never purchased thru their on line business, my guess is that it is a similar situation.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Cheesy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

There has to be trust from one party, either the party sending the money or the party sending the gun. If that can't be agreed upon, you're at a stand still. The accepted way is the buyer sends the money with the FFL information and the seller sends the gun with his identification. I've sent money orders mostly, but have sent checks as well.

I scrutinize the feedback on a seller before placing a bid.

Make sure you as the buyer, him as the seller, and your recieving FFL are all in agreement on what paperwork needs to be involved.

I've had sellers (individuals) require a signed copy of the FFL copy, which is not a law.

I've had recieving FFLs say they could not receive from an individual (not true at all).

I've had recieving FFLs require a copy of the drivers license of the seller (again, not the law).

If everybody is in agreement, there won't be surprises when people start setting the requirements after the transaction has started.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

Cheesy,

I agree that there are different vendors that want certain things done in their own way, even though it is above and beyond what is legally expected. Walt Schiessl and I traded and purchased L.C. Smith guns from each other, for many many years. We always agreed on certain ways things were to be done to safe guard both of us on these purchases and trades of our very expensive L.C. Smith double guns. Thanks to Walts finicky ways of doing business, we were able to recover an original L.C. Smith #4 quality gun, that had been stolen from the UPS truck in Chicago, as the gun was being shipped to me. I have learned the hard way, when a Vendor/owner wants certain things done to be able to purchase his expensive guns, agree to what he is asking, especially if the vendor/owner is highly experienced in the gun trade. These old gentlemen understand the business and have experienced most every different kind of problem, that can happen when dealing with gun sales and shipping.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man #2

Beagleman
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

I've bought 15-20 shotguns online over the years and never had an issue. I send a money order and my ffl info and they send the gun. Usually the guns are in better condition than pictures indicate. I do check the feedback, number of transactions, and if they offer 3 day inspection. I have never sent a gun back. Maybe I've been lucky, but all good to great transactions for me buying guns online.

df
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve bought and sold on various sites. When selling, I require a uspsmo and ffl be sent to me. Upon arrival of those, I cash the uspsmo, and ship the same day, to the supplied FFL.

When buying, I send a uspsmo and ffl and seller ships to that ffl.
I’ve had zero problems.