16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Huns
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

WOW, I just had my first meal of Hungarian Partridge......absolutely delicious.

Cooked the breasts and legs/thighs on a hot grill to medium, salt and pepper. With sides of broccoli and baked potato.

I always thought ruffed grouse were the best tasting bird......not sure about that any longer, these Huns were wonderful.

win7stw
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

Huns are by far my favorite bird to eat. Enjoy them while you can, we don’t get these kind of numbers very often

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

Huns are GREAT
Throw away the broccoli Smile

Mike

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Huns are fantastic eating, made correctly almost equal to Ruffed Grouse, almost.

I am with skeet tx, get rid of the Broccoli.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
IDcut
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:15 am  Reply with quote

I like eating huns as well, but my favorite bird for eating is the chukar!
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:42 am  Reply with quote

Good going, Mark.

The one wild hun I shot in southern MN was used as a training bird for my Draht. After a few freeze/thaw cycles I figured it wouldn't be an eater. Wink

I saw flock of huns about a two months ago in southern MN. They were on a gravel road and flew just ahead into the ditch bordering standing corn. I got the dog out and we didn't see them again. They must have slipped into the corn.

They are there, but tough to get because they're usually out in stubble on private land. I also see them in Iowa, but they are too nomadic to target.

In South Dakota this year I was just finishing a ditch and here comes a hun floating by in range, but high and somewhat in the sun. While I was 98% sure it was a hun I held my fire on the 2% chance it was a hen pheasant. When I got to my parter who was blocking I said, "Hey did you bird float by me? I think it was a hun." We got back in the truck and when we drove over the rise in the gravel road there was a flock of 16-18 huns in the road which promptly took off. Dang!
IDcut
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:55 am  Reply with quote

Where I hunt here in Idaho, we encounter huns quite often. After walking along the rim of the river breaks, chasing chukar, my friend and I were walking back to the vehicle talking and not paying attention. A big group of huns jumped from some knee high grass, almost at my feet. I fired twice with my double, my friend took 3 shots from his 20 ga 870 and not a bird was scratched! The birds bailed down the breaks to where they were safe, at least from us!

We were hunting two labs and other than being terrible scent conditions, hot and dry, we were surprised they hadn't winded the birds as close as they were to us when they flushed.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:01 am  Reply with quote

I love hunting huns. I consider them gentlemen's chukars, because they covey up and flush in large coveys just like chukars, but are usually up on top in the grass or stubble, where the walking is much easier.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
gomerdog
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

I have never eaten Hun, but I have digested a few chukars, which are, in my opinion the equal of any ruff or blue grouse.

Broccoli, brussel sprouts, or asparagus are all good choices as a side dish. Green is good.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:14 am  Reply with quote

Mark , you are killing me with this post !! Huns have been the main goal in all of our excursions out west . The only time I could get a shot was a tight flock of 8 minutes after we'ed limited out of grouse !! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Till the time comes , ruffies are the top of the dinner heap , particularly those that have been eating apples for a while !