16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Fiocchi golden pheasant
Little Creek
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:56 am  Reply with quote

FGP #5 shot is deadly. Granted you don't need anything special (besides accurate aim) at under 30 yards, but number 9's? I stay away from small shot sizes , less than #7 on gamebirds that I want to eat. Not interested in picking #9's out of breast meat. besides, that turns off others who don't shoot, but might enjoy eating a wild bird...
Little Creek
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:59 am  Reply with quote

Tom Roster actually recommended #4 for wild pheasant. The kill rate was quite a bit higher than using #5 or #6...
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:02 am  Reply with quote

That's cause people insist on trying to kill birds with body shots instead of leading the head.

and......ever try to get a real good pattern from a 16 gauge using #4's. I have never been truly successful.

Don't tell this rooster, that I shot yesterday, that he shouldn't be dead because I was ONLY using #6 shot, and OMG during the late season, horrors!! I have tried #5's now and then but have always gone back to 6's.

Little Creek
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, you live in North Dakota and know exactly where the roosters are...and hence get all your birds within 25 yards. Of course 6's work fine...
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

Uh, just so you understand........ Up until September 15, 2020 I used to live in Connecticut and I have lived here since September 17, 2020 and had never been to ND to hunt. I don't hunt on game preserves and no one has shown me any places to hunt here in ND (not a complaint, I want to figure this out for myself). I do have GSP's but if you think that roosters hold 10' off the dog's nose in December you would be in error. Heck they didn't hold 10' off the dog's nose in October.

Since 1993, I have hunted native birds in IA, NE, KS, SD and now ND. 25 yards or 50 yards #6's take pheasants.