16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Dogs Christmas Present
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:20 am  Reply with quote

Took Cooper GSP and Riley my sons Chesapeake to a shooting preserve yesterday. The snow had gone since the rain came Christmas day so it was bare ground where we went. My son came and brought his 4 year old who wore his new shooting vest. His wife got called into work so he brought his 18month old daughter as well. What to do with the whole gang. So my wife came wore a baby backpack and trucked my granddaughter and for most of it. We shot 7 out of the 8 birds they put out for us good dog work cover was high and thick so it was difficult to root them out once pointed by Cooper. I was backup for my son but as usual it was not needed so i shot one hen with a 16. My grandson got to carry two birds in his vest, my wife had a great time only regret is we did not get pictures. Guess we will have to do it again!
Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:09 am  Reply with quote

It sounds like a good time was had by all. I can’t tell you the number of times I get home from a hunt and tell my wife I forgot to take pictures.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:23 am  Reply with quote

Soggy, Guess I was feeling too generous. My dog, also named Cooper, asked for a hunting trip to Montana next fall. In a weak moment I said OK. Wink
Seriously though,sounds like a great day was had. Good for you.

wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

That sounds like a great day , good to get out with the family, and the dogs must have done a good job for you , thanks for sharing your hunt with us and glad the 16 did the business for you.
All the best WJ.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:55 am  Reply with quote

Thanks gents for the kind comments- Yes it was a good time. Although he loves the trip to South Dakota I believe we are heading north to Maine this next year instead for grouse and woodcock.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:50 am  Reply with quote

You're spoiling those dogs of yours, but sounds like fun. It was nice you were able to enjoy having your family out for the hunt. The preserve hunts are a great training situation that I've been relegated to this year because of the pandemic. Next year should see me back on the road for my western hunts when fall rolls around. I would like to think my dogs don't know the difference between preserve and wild birds, but I know better.