16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cheddite hull recipes with cb100 wads...
glenm33
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:28 am  Reply with quote

I bought these components because they were available..reading here it may not be the best choice. Does anyone have a good load for 1oz clay buster/cheddite combo? I have cheddite primers and quite a few powders already on hand.. 700x,800x, universal etc
Thank you
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:23 am  Reply with quote

Check out the Hodgdon dite it shows loads for Cheddite hulls with WAA16 wads with Universal powder.. The claybuster wad is the replacement wad for the WAA16 wad that has not been offered in many years.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:25 am  Reply with quote

Don't use the Claybuster wads/universal powder/chedditehull combination. Even though its listed in Hodgdon, you'll get terrible bloopers. I found out the hard way. Cost me a couple grouse! For 1 oz in cheddites and Federals, a lot of us use the #072sg16 wad from Ballistic products. www.ballisticproducts.com,763 494 9237. The Claybuster wads are best for Remington game load hulls and the discontinued Win compression formed hull. Welcome to the site. What gun(s) are you loading for?

16'er
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:45 am  Reply with quote

OP, if you can't get a straight wall wad to match the cheddites, I might be able to part with some RGL hulls. Let me know and we'll work out details.
4setters
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:03 am  Reply with quote

The issue is powder migration past the base of the wad, upward to potentially the shot column. This happens with smaller grain powders, particularly when shells are carried a lot during hunting. Bloopers result, from primers not setting off the powder charge.

Rule of thumb is: Use American made wads in American made hulls. Use European wads in European hulls.

I.e., W AA16 wads (~.618 at the base, designed for tapered CF Winchester hulls), W AA16 clones (Claybuster CB 0100 at ~.635) and Rem SP16 wads (~.632) in Remington and Winchester CF hulls.

(I've used Rem SP wads in Federal hulls and got by with them, but they are a little loose as Fed hull thickness is less than Remingtons. I have never used WAA16 wads in Federal hulls but suspect they would do poorly due to small wad diameter. I have also used Fed hulls to load steel with VP80 wads, which do fine.)

Use SG 16 (~.650) and steel wads (PT 1680 and VP80, same wad at ~.650) in modern Cheddite-type straight walled hulls.

I don't have any other European wads to measure, but I'll bet they are comparable in diameter to SG 16 wads.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
Hamish
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:01 am  Reply with quote

I see that Hodgdon lists 23gr of 800x with a sp wad, win 209 in Win hulls for 1350fps.

Kind of off the track, I have not done it, but have seen posted by a trusted guy taking a small square of newspaper and putting it under the wad base for a loose wad problem to eliminate powder migration.
3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

Glad I read this post. I was just getting ready to load up that listing with the CB wad/universa/cheddite hull. was going to use a 2 1/2" hull and 7/8 oz--I had loaded up a box and I didnt have any problems with them.

glenm33
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:46 am  Reply with quote

Savage16 - loading for Sweet sixteen browning and a old Czech side by side

Thank you everyone for the info! I think I’ll try to return the unopened bag and get SG16 from BP since sp16 remingtons not avail.
glenm33
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:47 am  Reply with quote

Savage16 - loading for Sweet sixteen browning and a old Czech side by side

Thank you everyone for the info! I think I’ll try to return the unopened bag and get SG16 from BP since sp16 remingtons not avail.
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:28 am  Reply with quote

Agree, powder migration would be an issue via cup dia too small for hull ID, I'm working through the same issue with some 10ga wads in Fed hulls creating bloopers, do remember past threads addressing the issue by "fiddling around" with the cup, a small piece of plastic stretch wrap around the powder cup to take up the gap, over or pre flaring the cup on a smooth round object i.e. lip of a coke bottle, back of a spoon etc. If not wanting to fiddle returning and getting the proper wad is your best bet.

a search (lower left corner of 16ga title block) for "flared cup" or "powder migration" will bring those threads to light if wanting to make those wads work.

Aside whine; a small peeve of mine seeing Lymans 5th suggest the SP16 in about 90% of the 16ga loads published and in others the inverse of cramming the SG16 into RGL hulls.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:46 am  Reply with quote

glenm33 wrote:
I bought these components because they were available..reading here it may not be the best choice. Does anyone have a good load for 1oz clay buster/cheddite combo? I have cheddite primers and quite a few powders already on hand.. 700x,800x, universal etc
Thank you

I've never ever had a problem with CB wad in a straight wall hull. Just a quick modification to the powder cup and you have no powder creep. Been using 21 grains of 20/28 for 4 years. Real close to universal but better in my opinion. Element on trap all way back yo shootoff area. 10 to 15 yards from the 27 yard line. 1oz shot. Just saying.
4setters
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

I would think that in most cases, there is a vast difference in the post-load handling of hunting loads vs. trap/skeet/etc. loads. Although I rarely shoot clay games, I put in lots of miles hunting with a vest full of reloads. In my opinion, hunting upland game is primarily where one is going to experience powder migration, not carrying a full box of reloads to a firing line to shoot clays. As Savage 16 pointed out above, bloopers resulted in two grouse miffed. You may not have that experience with clay games where shells are not handled/carried/jostled/etc., a lot .

My learning experience came just after 2000, when Winchester Cheddite hulls first hit the market. When I hunt mixed quail/pheasant country, I normally carry a load of 16 gauge high velocity reloaded 7.5 lead shot in the first barrel in case quail get up over a point (and #5s for my second shot). Being short of CF Winchester reloaded 7.5s and on short notice for a return to the Great Plains, I loaded up a few Cheddite Winchester hulls with Rem SP 16 wads and HS6 powder in 7.5s in case I ran short of CF 7.5s. Well, I did, and after several days of carrying some Cheddite hulls in my vest, I found out real quick they all turned out to be bloopers. Lesson learned. The only thing I load with Cheddite-type hulls now is steel upland 16 gauge loads with VP80 wads--never a problem with them blooping in the field after 15 years or so of using this load. These "hull specific" reloads are easy to identify when hitting the field--all the rest of my reloads are also hull specific to a particular load and are either CF Winchester or Remington hulls. Keeps me from running afoul of the warden.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
3birddogs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:26 am  Reply with quote

Hammer bill--what is this quick modification to the powder cup of the CB wad, you mentioned?

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:09 am  Reply with quote

3birddogs wrote:
Hammer bill--what is this quick modification to the powder cup of the CB wad, you mentioned?

3dogs. Under a mild heat I expand the over powder cup .002- .004 OVL. POWDER MIGRATION has not been a problem. Also if I can break targets 35 to 40 behind the trap house. Killing game has never been a problem. I cannot remember the last time I've had a blooper.
Shooting trap games I just load my pouch full and wait till I run low then refill. I got shoot ATA hardly anymore. Their is no money in it to make it worth while. Playing the games at several different clubs is my thingy.

If u want to know how I do expand the wad just let me know. I can explain it over the ph better than typing on my ph. I don't have use for a computer.
I've been retired 7 years now.
pheasant16
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Hammer bill wrote:
3birddogs wrote:

3dogs. Under a mild heat I expand the over powder cup .002- .004 OVL. POWDER MIGRATION has not been a problem. Also if I can break targets 35 to 40 behind the trap house. Killing game has never been a problem. I cannot remember the last time I've had a blooper.
Shooting trap games I just load my pouch full and wait till I run low then refill. I got shoot ATA hardly anymore. Their is no money in it to make it worth while. Playing the games at several different clubs is my thingy.

If u want to know how I do expand the wad just let me know. I can explain it over the ph better than typing on my ph. I don't have use for a computer.
I've been retired 7 years now.

0.002 to 0.004 only gets you to 0.638 or so. Any chance of stretching it 0.030 to 0.040 over?

I use an overpowder card (0.675) that Ballistic Products no longer carries SD16 when using wads like SP16 in a straight walled hull. Gent at local trap club taught me that 30+ years ago. (Never tested for pressure)
Since SP16 is now gone, and don't shoot trap any longer have just decided to use the AA hulls for field use and burn up the claybuster wads.
The Z16 field commander wad has a gas seal of .665 so will try a few of these in cheddite hulls once the 571 and claybusters are gone.