16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Rookie Here: Best place for Lighter Factory Loads
thegentlemanssidekick
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I am relatively new to the 16 game and I was wondering if there was a good place to get lighter shooting loads for busting clays.

My field loads are pretty stout and I would like something a little less punishing for a day at the range.

I have checked out RST but they murder you with shipping unless you buy in bulk and I am just not willing to do that right now.

Thanks!

MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

There aren't any true 'target' loads made for the 16 gauge.

For factory loads, I have used Federal, Winchester, RIO and Remington 1 oz. game loads of either #8 or #7.5 shot. They aren't the best but they will break clays. I like the RIO's but @ 1300 FPS in a light gun might not be what you want, however the hulls are good for reloading.

What many of us use are reloads. From 1/2 oz. up to and including 1 1/8 oz.target loads. There are some very good component combinations for 3/4, 7/8 and 1 oz. loads from 1100 FPS and up.

The fly in the ointment is finding components right now.

AKDan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

There is little marketed as target loads for 16 gauge. That may be because absent a 16 gauge class in competitive shooting games. The ammo makers may not see a point in aiming at a microscopic market sector.

Browning makes 16 gauge ammo labeled as target ammo. Browning BST. One ounce of shot at 1200 FPS. It is expensive and Browning says that it is not reloadable.

I do not see a lot of Fiocchi ammo around here but they may still label some 16 gauge ammo as target ammo.

If you look at the specs on the Browning ammo you see that the problem is the label, not the ammo. The one ounce/1200FPS Remington game load is the same performance.

Further, the one ounce/1165 FPS Federal and Winchester loads are even milder

Dan
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

Best bet is to try to order into a bass pro or Cabelas near you some generic 1oz loads. In order to save shipping.

The longer term is to reload, stick to he easily available stuff such as cheddite hulls and B&P wads.

The unfortunate reality is part of being a successful 16ga guy is hoarding components and Ammo and buying in bulk Ammo when deals are there. I once brought more than ten flats of B&P F2 shells when the price was right, sill have not used all of them.

Loving the 16ga can be a difficult relationship. The 16ga can become a high maintenance girl friend, but like my wife worth the bother.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:21 am  Reply with quote

Rogers sporting Goods currently lists a Federal 1 ounce at 1165 FPS that should fit your bill. With free shipping at over $100.00 not a bad deal in this day and age. Save your empties for when you start reloading.
jswanson
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:20 am  Reply with quote

Ive found the federal to be the lightest recoiling. Also, generally the most expensive.

Joe

thegentlemanssidekick
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:04 am  Reply with quote

Soggy socks wrote:
Rogers sporting Goods currently lists a Federal 1 ounce at 1165 FPS that should fit your bill. With free shipping at over $100.00 not a bad deal in this day and age. Save your empties for when you start reloading.

Thanks for the heads up! It was actually Fiocchi but same stats. It was exactly what I was looking for and the best price I've seen ever. 44 cents a round!

I never thought 5.56 or 9mm would be more expensive than 16, but here we are.

Great find! Thank you!

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

sidekick:
Just my .02- don't waste your money on Fiocchi. Spend a little more and get the federal or something else. The hulls are better, and before everyone goes crazy, yes the Fiocchi can be reloaded but there are better choices for little more money.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

I concur w RGuill96971, buy hulls that are better reloading if possible, the fiochi are not as durable as the federal or even the Remington. Cheditte are decent too.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

Hello and welcome on your postings

What state?

Some stores sell RST ammo and can order them for you for local pickup

Mike

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

Rogers shows the Federal as not in stock. In fact they no longer even list them when you filter by gauge. I have bought them there before at under $7 a box. Hope some day I will be able to again.

That is one of the main issues finding them actually in stock. You can always order direct from Federal they have free shipping on orders of $149 or more. Which isn't hard to do when you pay full retail at $14 a box. https://www.federalpremium.com/shotshell/federal-upland-waterfowl/game-load-upland/11-H160+8.html

Still have 12 flats of Herter's left. And a couple flats of Federal's from when they were on sale.

But most of my 16's are reloads with Cheddite hulls and 7/8 oz. using DR16 wads. Getting low on wads and talked to Kevin a few weeks ago he plans on doing another run at the end of the month. But getting low on primers down to ~2k.

Gun fit goes a long ways on recoil reduction. And a decent recoil pad does too. I use Microcell pads on guns that I don't want to upset balance and Kick EZZ on target guns. Either will allow a 6 pound gun to handle 1 oz. loads without the yips showing up.
Woody402
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:04 am  Reply with quote

RST
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:39 am  Reply with quote

I have used Remington, Federal and RIO 1 oz. loads for targets and then had the hulls to reload what I really want to use. Probably more Federal than all others combined.

The RIO's were the best deal...closeout at Dick's, about 3 years ago. Don't remember the exact price but the whole lot cost $41 and I got 18 or 19 boxes, all they had. I am using them right now for a 5 Stand league. Pretty stout 1 oz. @ 1300 FPS, but I am using my 1100......no old wood and no recoil concerns.

If I had to pick a favorite it would be the Federals. #1 because they have the least amount of recoil #2 because I like to reload Federals for both hunting and clay targets.

There are other companies out there like RST and Polywad. They have light loads....not sure on the prices. I am cheap when it comes to new ammo, mostly because I don't buy the ammo for the loads....I buy it for the hulls to reload.

If you really want light loads for the 16 you must reload.

For targets.....I like 1 oz. loads the best. Just an opinion from a guy that uses a gun that doesn't have much felt recoil and the gun isn't old enough to worry about the wood cracking.

When I shoot my older guns I tend to use the 7/8 oz. stuff the most.

Swampy16
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:02 am  Reply with quote

Start reloading. It’s actually very enjoyable.
16'er
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

Looks like RST recently had a small price increase. ~$2 a box across the board from when I picked some up a month ago.