16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Congratulations to WyoChukar
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

Getting the "The Gun Rack" department article in the current issue of Fur, Fish and Game!

All in all, an excellent article on proper hunting bullet selection.

Keep up the good work!

3birddogs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:52 am  Reply with quote

I love FFG, looking forward to the article.
Congrats.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Congratulations and Well Done sir Garhart!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
3birddogs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Always enjoyed The Gun Rack column, and with Garhart at the helm should continue to be excellent. I started getting FFG when I was around 15 and at 66 still look forward to it every month--got mine today!

4setters
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

FFG was the most popular outdoor mag in my youth, and we read all the outdoor mags we could get our hands on. If one ran out of outdoor mags, there was always volumes and volumes of reading in the old Herter's catalogs!

Garhart is one of my favorite posters here--I've really enjoyed his exploits and his excellent photos. Good job--I'll try to find a copy on a mag rack, and see about re-upping to subscribing after all these years.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

I signed up, this should be interesting!!

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:11 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. However, not sure I have been appointed Gun Rack editor. Tom Krause congratulated me too, but I don't recall anything being made official. The previous fellow retired and I think there are a number of us filling in right now.

Sorry about being largely inactive here, I've been "gone for the season". I just returned from Arizona. It was my first trip there and...I may go right back! Not sure yet. Eventually I will slow down and get everybody caught up on photos, etc. It has been a very eventful year as I have disappeared into the spaces between all of society's insanity this past year.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:14 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Garhart contact Bob Lee at the University and have him take you out Mearns Quail hunting along the Mex Border, one great guy, and some of the best Mearns Quail hunting ever!

Hope you get the position with FFG!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
Thanks for the kind words. However, not sure I have been appointed Gun Rack editor. Tom Krause congratulated me too, but I don't recall anything being made official. The previous fellow retired and I think there are a number of us filling in right now.

Sorry about being largely inactive here, I've been "gone for the season". I just returned from Arizona. It was my first trip there and...I may go right back! Not sure yet. Eventually I will slow down and get everybody caught up on photos, etc. It has been a very eventful year as I have disappeared into the spaces between all of society's insanity this past year.

Well, you got the article this month and as far as I'm concerned, you passed the tryout.

Taking a Mearns trip, as suggested above, could have a couple articles in it. Like, "I'm going to a totally alien area and figuring out how to hunt it" and "meeting up with someone I only knew from the internet". Or something....

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:41 am  Reply with quote

I just got back from Arizona and thought about Mearns, actually have some info as to where to go, but word is that those birds are having a rough year, so I passed.

I have done the "go to a totally alien location" thing a lot. Most of these places I hunt out of state are places that originally fit the category of an area I just went to and explored on my own after doing a bit of homework. I am usually learning from scratch or close to it when I try something new. Arizona Gambels quail was very much this case. A friend grew up there and said, "go try these spots", so eventually I did. More on that coming.

The Gun Rack article about shotshell performance is now out in F-F-G (feb issue). Editing sort of chopped it down a little, but it came out okay.