16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  need some loading help
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:50 am  Reply with quote

I had Activ hulls separate after a few firings but I can't remember the circumstances, but they were complete hull shoot-offs with nothing remaining in the chamber/barrel. I never used Activ hulls for heavy hunting loads, because we had plenty of good Winchester CF's and Remington hulls back then.

Some folks really like Activ stuff, I was always in between, because of the hull separations. I was sad to see them go though because they were another 16 gauge option and they encouraged reloading.

Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:10 am  Reply with quote

Skidoo Where did you get the recipe you posted? Was there a velocity listed? Just my memory but seems like 18.0 of green dot with the sg16 and a w209 in a fed or cheddite would get you to 1200. No idea what 19.5 would get you to but perhaps too much for a vintage double, but you haven't mentioned what gun(s) you want to use it for. Can anyone confirm my memory? Nothing on Alliants site anymore.

I'm also +1 on the belief that 10z in a sg16 will not cause barrel leading. Didn't we have this same concern about doing 7/8oz with a DR16 when it first came out.

skidoo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:52 am  Reply with quote

Lymans 4th edition shot shell reloading handbook ,16 ga 2 3/4 federal plastic case paper base wad fold crimp, green dot 19.5 gr, fed 209a primer,activ-g28 wad velocity1253fps,,10,800 l u p. Winchester model 24 shotgun,
Roadkill
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

I still have a sealed factory bag of Activ 16ga G28 wads, and yes, they are identical to the Gualandi SG16.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:00 pm  Reply with quote

Msm and Dan Lee are right. The activ wad, g28, is just a gualandi 16 ga wad that is still made.
I have a bag of the Activ g28 wads. I see now roadkill also posted. Yes, they are the same as the sg16. My g28 are white. I have like 150 of the 16ga activ hulls, so bought those wads in the early 90s.
Jagdhund
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:47 am  Reply with quote

df wrote:
Maybe I’m missing something, but lead shot scrubbing on a steel barrel does not concern me. I would use wads that have a deeper shot cup, if they were available, but if not, I don’t sweat it.
Will the barrel be damaged, I seriously doubt it. Will the shot have a small flat spot where it rubbed the barrel, I suppose.
I’ve used the wads you mention where the shot is not fully protected by being inside the wad. They worked just fine.

Mankind got by for a couple hundred years with nothing between the barrel and lead shot. I started hunting before the era of plastic shot cups. Just keep the bore brush handy.Razz

Jagdhund
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:48 am  Reply with quote

df wrote:
Maybe I’m missing something, but lead shot scrubbing on a steel barrel does not concern me. I would use wads that have a deeper shot cup, if they were available, but if not, I don’t sweat it.
Will the barrel be damaged, I seriously doubt it. Will the shot have a small flat spot where it rubbed the barrel, I suppose.
I’ve used the wads you mention where the shot is not fully protected by being inside the wad. They worked just fine.

Mankind got by for a couple hundred years with nothing between the barrel and lead shot. I started hunting before the era of plastic shot cups. Just keep the bore brush handy.Razz

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:55 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Just keep the bore brush handy

Yeah no kidding!!

I thought I would try some card and fiber wads using Circle Fly stuff. Loaded up 100 and went skeet shooting.

I am very glad that my Beretta has chrome lined bores, even then it was a PITA to get rid of the lead.

Incredibly, I tried some Alcan Combo wads (Air Wedge glued to a Feltan Bluestreak) and there was a lot less lead in the bores.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

Mark:
Was the fiber wads ring waxed from circlefly? I loaded some with wads from BP and I waxed them with tallow. It added a little extra work, but didn’t notice any leading, maybe I didn’t shoot enough of them.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

RGuill96971,

Circle Fly stuff is not waxed. I learned why they should be. Laughing

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

Good to know. Guess the extra work, was worth it.
harkom
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:50 am  Reply with quote

re - Activ wads :

Lyman 4th, in my edition, in the wad section, shows a picture of the Activ 16g wad - which looks identical to the Giulandi SG16.

Activ data sheets enclosed in factory bags of 12g wads itemises ( with images ) their "own" 12 and 20 g wads. There is footnote to the effect that 16g wads were to be made available in the near future. Their own 12 and 20 g wads appear to have a noticeably different construction to that of the type on display in Lyman. Presumably at some time the Activ company marketed the G wad under their brand name but it may be possible that the company did make and sell one of their own design before selling the G wad.

My 2c on the proposed load of 19.5gr Green Dot over a hot primer like Fed 209 A is going to be upper end pressure. I would proceed with caution, just as the late, great Joe Speroni recommended in load testing - start LOW and work UP.
DanLee
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

harkom wrote:

Lyman 4th, in my edition, in the wad section, shows a picture of the Activ 16g wad - which looks identical to the Giulandi SG16.

The Lyman pic does not show the bottom of the powder cup. Activ's G-28 was identical to the SG16S. The difference is the SG16 has a bunch of little fingers down there to take up space. The SG16S does not.

harkom wrote:
Activ data sheets enclosed in factory bags of 12g wads itemises ( with images ) their "own" 12 and 20 g wads. There is footnote to the effect that 16g wads were to be made available in the near future.

Activ did make their own 12 and 20 gauge wads. I have not yet made up my mind about the G-32. It feels like it is made of the same plastic as the Activs and it does not look like the typical Gualiandi wad.

harkom wrote:
My 2c on the proposed load of 19.5gr Green Dot over a hot primer like Fed 209 A is going to be upper end pressure.

I am loading 7/8 oz of shot over 20 grains of Green Dot using a SG16 wad in a variety of hulls and primers. Perhaps I should send it off for testing, but I probably won't since I've used this load for the past decade and more.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

DanLee,

The G-32, I 'THINK' that Graf sold that wad as 'Cheddite', not that I think it was a Cheddite wad. But it was available for quite awhile, as in 15 years or so.

I found a partial bag the other day.

Do these match up with what you have?

DanLee
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, that matches what I have exactly. So it must be a Gualiandi wad after all. Thanks!

Now I wonder what Gualiandi's designation for these wads was; BPI, Grafs, and whoever else sold them had their own monikers for them. It's enough to make a reloader think about going back to card wads and fillers!