16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  belgian 16
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:36 am  Reply with quote

skeettx has the GB # below - thanx Mike .....hey guys , one of you jump on this double and put me out of my misery !!! 27.5 Mod and IC barrels , 5 3/4 lbs . Needs some work and barrel cleaning , have that capability here , but the Davis precludes me grabbing this . Been on GB for a yr . Present starting bid is $319 . San Antonio , Skeettx ! I just can't seem to pull the trigger ! (2 9/16 gun)

Last edited by 16gaDavis on Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total

skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

This one??

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884222035

Pictures 17 and 18 have my interest

Mike

Old colonel2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Barrel bores are terrible, interesting but may not worth the bother,
3birddogs
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

The bores just kill it for me--up to that point I was ready to pull the trigger. wonder how thick the barrels are--at that weight, cant be too thick--to be able to hone it out.

Bill K
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:37 am  Reply with quote

Tempting, really tempting, but common sense tells me not to bid.

Besides I have a Savage Fox Sterlingworth 16 GA circa 1934, similarly configured, and in very good condition sitting in my rack.

The gun that's up for auction needs a LOT of work - $$$. Not sure it could be saved as a 16 - probably best to resleeve it in 28 GA. Looking at those pitted bores prompts me to question what were the previous owners shooting for ammo - black powder loads ?

I've seen this gun up for auction before, I hesitated then, and I will hesitate now.

Browning Citori Upland 16 GA circa 2014
Darne R10 1962
Browning Sweet Sixteen 16 GA circa 1957
Savage Fox Sterlingworth 16 GA circa 1934
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:47 am  Reply with quote

A gun that light tells me the barrels are struck fairly thin to begin with. Pits that deep tell me there may no longer be sufficient wall thickness remaining in the deepest pits and reaming/ honing will not change that. To thin is too thin whether it looks clean or terrible (remember the dangerously honed Parker that G&H sold me?).

Unfortunately, that gun just is not of sufficient quality/ grade to make sleeving in a new barrel set worth the expense and effort. The only candidate I see for a purchase is someone learning the double gun restoration trade who needs a cheap gun for their first attempt at sleeving in new tubes or someone needing this particular model for parts.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:48 pm  Reply with quote

At what point is a pitted shotgun barrel unsafe? Yes it is unsightly and confers a history of negligence. But will it necessarily lead to a bulge or burst? Honing will simply remove more metal. why not simply clean it up to arrest the pitting and use it? It shouldn’t affect patterns and performance.

B.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:44 am  Reply with quote

When the pressure generated by the load exceeds the tensile strength of the steel and the wall thickness of the barrel, and some other stuff Wink

In that one cannot know the wall thickness at the bottom of deep pits, is it really worth the risk?

[url=https://drewhause.smugmug.com/Disasters-blow-ups/i-nGX5nDq/A] [/url]

It is my opinion if that the wall thickness is inadequate to remove pitting by honing (which I favor and which the Birmingham Proof House requires before reproof) then the barrels should not be used; or can only be used with tube inserts.
Very few vintage doubles are worth the $2500 - $3000 for sleeving.

Superficial pits in the distal 1/3 of the barrel, where pressure is < 1000 psi, are a different issue.

And only an experienced observer with a high quality bore scope can accurately assess the depth of pits. Industrial ultrasound machines don't work on gun barrels, and radiography can't measure the depth of pits either.

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:56 am  Reply with quote

A picture worth a thousand words.
Little Creek
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:49 am  Reply with quote

Larry DelGrego once told me..."If you don't have good barrels, you don't have a gun ".
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:40 am  Reply with quote

No way.
Those pits are entirely too severe.

My French 16 is of a similar design, differing mostly in having a Prince of Wales grip rather than an English. It weighs 5 lb 8oz. While my barrels were lovingly cared for and the bores are perfect, my gunsmith friend told me to never, ever even think about letting out the chambers to 2 3/4. To get to that weight with its 70 cm (27.5 in) barrels, they had to be very lightly struck. Letting them out would likely move to "dangerous" from merely "light".

Also, anyone thinking of sleeving the barrels on that Belgian gun should keep in mind they'd better have a gunsmith's license, first. Cutting them off to make the monobloc can be considered producing a short-barrelled shotgun with all the legal implications that would carry.

You can get nicer Belgian 16ga doubles from Simpson's for that much or even less.