16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Shipping Ammo
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:45 am  Reply with quote

I learned this morning that if you are shipping ammo, empty primed hulls or any formerly labeled ORM-D material that things have changed.

The US DOT (not UPS or FedEx) has done away with the ORM-D labels and UPS/FedEx can no longer ship a package with an ORM-D label on it.

The new label is called a 'Ground Limited Quantity' label. 4" x 4" and each package requires one label. The package cannot weigh more than 66 lbs.

With UPS you must go to one of their Customer Centers to ship a Ground Limited Quantity package.

The label looks like this:

https://images.app.goo.gl/KiNHvhrBCJmA4fGk6

fourtown
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this info. I imagine, that because you can't currently buy ammo in a store and you can't buy it online and you can't buy components to roll your own, that more individuals will be shipping ammo to sell or to share with ammo poor friends.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

Yes and I know there are folks that send in ammo for testing.

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, Mark. I had read there had been some changes but had not read uo on them yet. UPS has required shipping ammo from a Customer Service Center for some time.

I have a bunch of metallic I'm considering selling given the current climate but am hesitant to sell outside of PA anymore with all the various state/local regs one needs to keep up with.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:41 am  Reply with quote

thanx Mark ... guess I need to ask at our fed Ex - they have been most co operative and easy here . We have shot and wads here , but powder and primers are scarce at best . Factory ammo also - good luck getting 20's !! we think we are good for the HS trap kids - federal had a preorder special that ran till Jan 31st , so at least if they send those out , they are covered . ( now , anyone thinking those little pip-squeek loads Nick shoots might have been ahead of their time !? )

MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis,

Well those little pip squeak loads that Nick shoots won't function my 1100!!
Laughing Laughing

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:24 am  Reply with quote

Mark , shoot em for the single shots and your bigger loads for the multi shots !! 1100's are set for hard shells no matter what the gauge . The Rem web site used to say 12ga were only guaranteed to cycle 3 dram loads . The top end skeet guys here still use either cutts 1100's or Kolars . The Rems all have the gas ports opened up (a lot!!). As long as you are shooting full loads , no need to mess with your gun . If you start getting frugal , it is necessary to open up . Problem is , then the gun gets abused using the Pheas loads etc . I actually have a field barrel with my 28 with one port plugged to save the abuse from faster loads !(Rem 1100 parts are getting VERY tough to find if something breaks .Better to stay safe. ) My 11-48 will do 14grns of 700X , a DR , and 5/8 all day long though , so that's the frugal gun !

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:37 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis,

My 1100 will cycle 7/8 oz. loads just fine using either 700-X or Universal. But I really like 1 oz. loads for targets. I am currently using 1 oz. loads for a 5 Stand League.

I developed some 3/4 oz. loads, but honestly, I have no real desire to use them, not even in my break actions. Yeah they break targets, but I don't have anything to prove by shooting sub-gauge loads in my 16's.

1/2 oz. and 5/8 oz. loads are not for me. Until I have to use those loads I won't.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

Mark , sorry for the diversion - was sliding off into what 4 trax lamented ! Still nice to know exactly what shipping opps are avail !!

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing diversions are good!!

16'er
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:07 am  Reply with quote

Used to be primed hulls shipped normal post, correct? So is there a fee for shipping primed hulls now, or do they just have to be labeled appropriately? Thanks
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

Primed hulls have always been shipped under the ORM-D guidelines, which were not HazMat guidelines or their associated fees.

The DOT changed ORM-D to Ground Limited Quantity, which for ammo and primed hulls follow the old ORM-D guidelines. There are no HazMat fees associated with the change.

Just a new dress for an old prost.........

If by post you mean US Mail service.......you were never supposed to ship ammo or primed hulls through US Mail. UPS, FedEx, Speedee etc...

16'er
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Primed hulls have always been shipped under the ORM-D guidelines, which were not HazMat guidelines or their associated fees.

The DOT changed ORM-D to Ground Limited Quantity, which for ammo and primed hulls follow the old ORM-D guidelines. There are no HazMat fees associated with the change.

Just a new dress for an old prost.........

If by post you mean US Mail service.......you were never supposed to ship ammo or primed hulls through US Mail. UPS, FedEx, Speedee etc...

Thanks for clarifying. Very helpful!
Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:42 am  Reply with quote

So how are you guys doing it with FedEx? ground. The closest one to me says I cant do it with FedEx at all. Finally got thru on an 800 number to dangerous goods dept which was telling me I can do it thru them but I have to schedule a pick up at my home. And then he cut me off. Crying or Very sad