16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington 31 barrel swap
dannypratt
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:38 am  Reply with quote

Fellas,

I just found a 1937 (WF stamp) 16ga 28" full choke SOLID RIB barrel in very nice condition for CHEAP!

It ALMOST fits my 1939 (PH stamp) 16ga gun...but it goes past rib and receiver alignment when snug, AND the front lug on the barrel has a stud that doesn't quite line up with the takedown/assembly nut on the end of the magazine tube (the location of the stud needs to be about 1/32 lower than it is).

Any idea who could or how much this could cost to make work???

I know the barrels are fit to each gun separately, but I'd think it would have to be possible...the serial numbers are both 52xxx...only 425 apart.. (maybe that doesn't mean a thing!)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stack16
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:57 am  Reply with quote

" it goes past rib and receiver alignment when snug "

By how much? A little bit or a whole lot?

Griff

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:46 am  Reply with quote

had 2 guns , one reg weight and one LT . and 3 barrels . all 3 would fit on one gun , but only 2 on the other . The 3rd wouldn't quite turn far enough , seemed to need just a smidge removed from the bolt end . might just need some kind of thin shim on the loose barrel .

dannypratt
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

Griff,

To be snug it turns about 1/8 past where it needs to be... then there's the trouble with the retention lug and stud not aligning with the takedown wheel.

fourtown
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

I had 2 of mine done at Ahlman's in Morristown MN. I think they charged me $75 each time, probably 8-10 years ago.

I have two Model 31L's and one steel 31 and 5 barrels. I had two of the gun/ extra barrel combinations "matched" at Ahlman's. After I had the first one done, I tried to determine what they did and how to do it myself. But I couldn't figure it out and just let the professionals do it again. It gave me an relatively cheap excuse to drive down to Ahlman's.

All of the gun/barrel combinations don't match up, and I don't remember which guns match with which barrels, but it works out.

And no I am not interested in selling any barrels. Now with bismuth more readily available, I am using the 31's more for duck and pheasant hunting.

Insert picture here. Someday I'll figure it out.
Stack16
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

I have an extra Bbl. that went past a little, I backed it up for alignment so that the extractor on the bolt would fit in the slot on the Bbl. then the lug and stud lined up proper, then I cycled empties and it worked fine, next I primed a empty hull and test fired it everything went okay so I took it to the range and fired lite loads at skeet everything went fine the hulls reload okay so I'm good with that.

"Do at your own risk though" Just another idea, proceed with caution, sounds like your lug and stud may not allow it.

Griff