16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Beautiful American Classic with Krupp Barrels
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

If you have ever dreamed of owning a serious American Classic double gun with the best Barrels ever made, Guns International has one for sale right now for very reasonable money. GI # 101570610.

Mark's Born Again Bird Guns is selling a one of a kind 12 gauge, #3 Grade L.C. Smith gun, made in 1901, with Special Ordered Krupp 30" barrels. I have never dealt with Mark, however it is my understanding he runs a 1st class operation, and only deals in very nice guns.

Any #3 L.C. Smith gun in good shape is a great bird gun, finding one that was Special Ordered with Krupp 30" barrels is an exceptional gun. Usually Krupp Barrels were reserved for very high grade L.C. Smith guns. This Special Order #3 is like finding a diamond. If you do not own a fine American Classic, here is a chance to own a very very nice one.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Click on GI listing below for picture
https://images.gunsinternational.com/listings_sub/acc_11264/gi_101570610/L-C-SMITH-GRADE-3-12GA-KRUPP-BARRELS-VERY-NICE_101570610_11264_4D7FC9C7691C9647.JPG

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

12 gauge???

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/lc-smith-shotguns/l-c-smith-grade-3-12ga-krupp-barrels-very-nice-.cfm?gun_id=101570610

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:39 pm  Reply with quote

Skeet,

Yes the gun is a 12 gauge, not a 16 unfortunately! Still a beautiful American Classic.
Entered that info in the original post.

Thanks for posting the full sales listing.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

I eyeballed this one, but a little out my budget right now. I did "pull the trigger" on something else this week though, something really outstanding that weighs a lot less for less cash. I will wait to announce it when I have it in hand. I will just say the Cogswell is no longer my only British gun.

Beagleman
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:03 am  Reply with quote

I must be confused. I thought I was on the 16ga. Society not 12ga. Society, L.C. Smith Society, Double Gun Society, or any other variation. I like and own All gauges of shotguns, but I think the forums of the 16ga.SOCIETY should be limited to the 16 GAUGE. I thought that is why this forum was created by Doug, the founder. That is my opinion, but opinions may vary....

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:10 am  Reply with quote

Bealgleman: I disagree a little, while it is a 16 gauge forum, many of the folks that have good advice here also have, load and shoot many of the other gauges. This is by far the best site, especially for reloading. Nothing wrong with any of the other gauges, and I shoot them all, but the 16 is just a little sweeter.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

Beagleman,

Although our main focus is the 16 gauge gun, most all of us do own and shoot most all the different gauge guns. I will continue to keep the forum members appraised of any super high grade guns I happen to notice, that are available for reasonable money, no matter the gauge of the gun. Education here on the 16 forum comes on many different subjects.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

Pine creek Dave
I think we are the only two that think LC Smith is a great double gun. I have a 12 and love it. Not a more fine gun in my opinion, just wish mine had Krupp barrels. Something about shooting an American classic.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

RG,

There are millions who know that L.C. Smith made the Best of all American Classic guns, we are definitely not alone. Glad you like your L.C. Smith guns, my 16 gauge guns are some of my favorites!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

1901 L.C. Smith #5 Gun, the stuff Dreams are made of, especially for Potter County, Pa American boys like me.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:52 am  Reply with quote

If you can't find an A. H. Fox an L. C. Smith is a nice alternative Very Happy Very Happy !

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:39 am  Reply with quote

Fin:
That’s good you just got it backwards.
Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:40 am  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
Pine creek Dave
I think we are the only two that think LC Smith is a great double gun. I have a 12 and love it. Not a more fine gun in my opinion, just wish mine had Krupp barrels. Something about shooting an American classic.

Hardly, I have 3! JUst not the fancy shmancy ones like PCD Razz

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:13 am  Reply with quote

Savage16,

I also have the 00 grades, all were built to the same exacting standards, by the same Master Gun Makers, only the Engraving, Upgraded Wood and Damascened internal side lock pieces are different, depending on the Grade of the gun.

A Fox gun is nothing more than a Box Lock L.C. Smith, with modified Brown Rotary Bolt engineering. Had many of them, most were used to up grade into another L.C. Smith double gun. I use to tease Mac about this all the time, his favorite guns were A. H. Fox.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

"L.C. Smith Americas Best" - John Houchins

Cased -1910 L.C. Smith #5 gun, the stuff Dreams are made of.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

I have mixed views about L.C. Smith guns. I have owned only two (16's), plus a Specialty grade frame/action. I have also looked at many of them. The pre 1913 guns have much nicer engraving. It is very evident that post 13 guns were all about coverage and reducing time/ cost invested more so than art. Most grades are have very "flat" line engraving in various patterns. Ithaca and Fox are also guilty of this after certain dates.

The pre 13's all used the "regular frame" with the nicely shaped lock plates. Ironically, the pre 13 guns are often lighter than the so called featherweight guns, partly due to the top rib design and partly due to how the barrels were struck. This also gives the earlier guns a better balance and handling due the heavier frame/ lighter barrel combo that centers a greater percentage of the gun weight between the shooters hands.

My biggest gripe? Working on the darn things. That top lever post being actuated by a V spring at the base makes reassembly of a Smith an experience worthy of Dante. The best solution is a junk lock plate with a small nut welded to it at the proper location so as to make a spring compressor/ post locating tool.

My other complaint? Price vs. quality. Collectors have managed to keep prices of the nicer grades out of the reach of most people who want to actually buy and shoot them. This is a problem with all classic American doubles, with Parker, Smith, and Fox leading the way in the realm of cost prohibitive small bores. This is also why I search for "problem guns" that I can obtain affordably then repair or upgrade myself. Anybody know of a Parker Repro 28 with major blueing wear and perhaps a damaged stock? I keep hoping...

Old colonel2
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

While the L. C. Can be a good gun. I have owned Parker’s, Foxes, and a high grade L.C. Guns and today I have none of the Parkers or L.C.s But still have a Fox.