16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  7/8 ounce reloads and Autos.. Will they work ?
Dads A-5
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:26 am  Reply with quote

What's your experience with 7/8 ounce reloads at 1165 to 1200 FPS and the A5 family of Autos.

Will a good medium pressure load at target/field velocity operate the action ?

Thanks

Old colonel2
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:56 am  Reply with quote

The answer is probably,

Go ahead and load a few and test them.

Note All A-5’s are not the same, springs and friction rings vary. Ensure you give it a good cleaning. If they don’t work initially you maybe able to play with the spring and friction ring to make it so. I will leave it to better experts on the A-5 to recommend specifics.
DanLee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:01 am  Reply with quote

I shoot 7/8 oz through a couple of Sweet Sixteens and an 1148 but the velocity is up around 1300 fps or more. I have not been able to get reliable cycling at lower velocities, even with the rings set for light loads and the magazine tube heavily oiled.
Dads A-5
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you

May be that I stay with one ounce loads because it works fine with them Smile

John Singer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot nothing but 7/8 oz target loads in my 16 gauge Savage 720 (Auto 5 clone).

The loads chronograph at 1200 fps. They cycle just fine.

kgb
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:20 pm  Reply with quote

RST 7/8oz loads do not cycle my 1947 Sweet 16, unfortunately.

Jta5er
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

I have been working on a 2 1/2” 16ga load for both my browning autos and my 100yr old sxs. I have settled on 15/16 oz with 18gr of green dot, I used the rio hulls clear primed from BP and roll crimped them with drill press. They worked perfectly on light setting with all 3 of my barrels. Felt soft in my sxs actually shot them today at trap.
I didn’t get the unique 7/8 powder loads or the 7/8 green dot to pan out in the brownings. Some ejected some didn’t hit and miss.
I found several published loads with green dot and I just cut and roll crimped.
I doubt 7/8 2 3/4 loads with 7/8 will eject all the time in different temps.
I have not had these loads tested by professional, use at your own risk.

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:45 am  Reply with quote

That was my game plan for my new A5 Sweet 16 when I got it. I would not function with 7/8's. It most likely would if I bumped velocity up but I was looking for a lower recoil load so I stuck with a lower velocity one ounce.
casebro
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:52 am  Reply with quote

I think mine might with the original square section spring. Pre-war, so 80 years old? It has zero lbs of preload, meaning pushing the barrel forward. Perhaps if you look for my past posts, you'll find a thread full of conjecture and data on spring pressures.

Here, "recoil spring characteristics" http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23174&highlight=

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:58 am  Reply with quote

The RST 7/8 oz Falcon Lite loads cycle perfectly in my 90 yr old A5. Yes it is 2 1/2” with a shorter throw than a 2 3/4” Sweet Sixteen, and it has a light 25” barrel, but it never fails to cycle the RST loads even with the HEAVY load setting.

How so? I believe it was the complete thorough cleaning performed on the gun which dislodged and removed shocking amounts of hard black gunk embedded deep in the action.

I recommend removing and soaking all moving parts, including disassembling the bolt completely as well as removing and soaking the action spring and all other little parts. Then scrub them until they gleam, lightly lube them, and reassemble. Also soak and clean the action body as well, it will be full of gooey crud. Replace the mag spring, it will likely be weakened and the cost is very modest. Carefully clean and lube the barrel rails and slots, and the chamber as well.

The old A5 now cycles so strongly on the Heavy setting that I may need to use heavier oil on the mag spring. Yes it’s possible the old A5 is so old, worn and sloppy that any load will cycle, but after cleaning you may be surprised how well your A5 cycles.

B.
DanLee
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
The old A5 now cycles so strongly on the Heavy setting that I may need to use heavier oil on the mag spring.

Oil facilitates the recoil cycle. If you are trying to slow down the recoil, less oil is what you want. In fact, you may want to remove all oil from the magazine tube.