16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  RST Recipes
LittleDoc
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody worked up a low pressure (<7500psi) RST recipe that goes bang reliably?
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

There are numerous sub 7500 loads out there.

Temperature is a variable for many, what wad, hull, and load weight are you focused on?
LittleDoc
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:25 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, I understand the temperature effects generally. What I am asking is whether anyone has developed a recipe using RST 2 1/2in Plastic case 15/16 or 1oz. I am open to using whatever other components are in the recipe (if they ever become available again). And if such data exists somewhere on this site, where can I find it.
Purple16
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23649

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
3birddogs
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:42 am  Reply with quote

although not 1 oz loads, go to the Hogdons reloading site and put in 2 1/2" cheddite and 16 ga. The 7/8 oz load with Universal and the SG16 wad and the 3/4 oz load with International and the DR 16 are great loads. Shot lots of pheasants with the 7/8 oz load and great for grouse.
Purple 16's loads with the WSF look great and I put them in my "recipie" book, there was also a nice 1 oz load using Longshot in a 2 1/2' case listed on this forum that looked perfect for vintage guns, so on my next trip to my supplier, I will pick up a bottle of either WSF or Longshot. I'll lookup that load for you

LittleDoc
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the help and replies. Just for my clarification-does RST still use Cheddite cases and if so does that imply that the Cheddite recipes in the spreadsheet are safe to use with RST plastic cases?
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

LittleDoc,

RST has historically used Cheddite hulls. RST is not a big enough company to have a special hull made for them. The best thing to do is cut one of your RST hulls and match it up to a Cheddite hull.

I can't imagine it will be anything but a Cheddite hull but, that is really up to you to verify.

I am including a picture of a cut down Cheddite hull.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

LittleDoc,

I haven't seen any 2 1/2" Cheddite loads with 1 oz. of shot.

Since you are looking for 'low pressure' loads, you might have to build your own and have it tested.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Littledoc: those are my favorite to load. And yes mark is correct they use cheddite hulls. I am not at home right now, but will look and see what I have. The should be close to 7500-8000 psi
Swampy16
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:39 am  Reply with quote

Cheddite hulls have stars stamped in the head. The 7/8 oz load 3birddogs mentioned is the only load I use anymore. It’s very reliable and very effective. It will absolutely stone a pheasant out to 40 yards if you do your part. There is no grouse on the planet that’s safe from it. The 7/8 oz payload is plenty.
3birddogs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:05 am  Reply with quote

RST uses cheddite hulls, have never seen them use anything else. At vintage gun shoots, I have picked up over a thousand of their 2 1/2" hulls--sure glad I did. RST does load/sell 1 oz 16 loads, I picked upa couple boxes to take out west on pheasants, but ended up shooting my own reloads.
This is the 1 oz load using Longshot that was on this forum several years ago:
Cheddite 2 1/2"
Win 209 primer
18 gr Longshot
1 oz lead shot
SG 16 wad
1200 fps @ 7270 psi
Load was tested by Precision reloading.
I have not tried this, but am going to pick up a pound of Longshot, and try it.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:36 am  Reply with quote

I use this load. I put about 500 of them through my Cogswell this past season in hot weather, mild weather, and downright frigid weather. You won't have any problems and I highly recommend it.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:58 am  Reply with quote

LittleDoc wrote:
.... Just for my clarification-does RST still use Cheddite cases and if so does that imply that the Cheddite recipes in the spreadsheet are safe to use with RST plastic cases?

Yes and Yes.

I had occasion this past fall to talk with one of RST's senior people. I can tell you from that conversation that their hulls are Cheddite. They buy their hulls direct. They get the hulls already primed, i.e., with Cheddite 209 primers.

The reason for my discussion with RST's senior person was some FTF difficulty I had with some of their shells in one of my 12 ga guns. In short, the primers in about 1/3 of a box of shells (12ga 2.5 in 1 oz. #4) were set about .015 to .020 too deeply, just enough that they would dimple but not fire. This is, how you say, disconcerting and disappointing when you have a pheasant go up and the gun goes click. Because they get their hulls already primed at the Cheddite factory, they have no control over primer-seating depth.

Please refrain from giving me advice on how to troubleshoot this ammo problem or did you look at this, or telling me my gun's defective or why I don't know what I am talking about. I've already been through that. All of it. The problem is understood and resolved.