16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Herters Shotgun Shells Value
Carnelian
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:22 am  Reply with quote

What are a flat of Herters 8 shot worth in the current market? They are about three years old.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:13 am  Reply with quote

I think what you paid for them, maybe slight increase
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:23 am  Reply with quote

I’d say $90-$100 in my current market.
Fortycaliberglock
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:58 am  Reply with quote

I think that depends where you live. I stopped at our Wally World on Tuesday and picked up a couple Winchester 4-packs for $23 each. It works out to about $5.50 per box, the pre-panic price.
Carnelian
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:23 am  Reply with quote

Fortycaliber,
That would be good for the WW express loads w/o tax but these are 16 gauge which we have to pay extra for like you do for 28's and 410's.
i just had a couple of extra flats and wanted to know what I should offer them for.
Thanks for the replies.
silverbowff
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:41 am  Reply with quote

I picked up two flats yesterday for $75.00 each. Prices around here are all over the map.

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:20 am  Reply with quote

Couple of months ago someone sold a couple of flats on doublegun for $80 a flat shipped. Recently a flat went for $160 on Gunbroker. Across the board is right.

Late last summer sold a friend that is on here 6 flats of 12 ga. Herters Low Recoil for $50 a flat, that is what they cost me.
fourtown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:29 am  Reply with quote

The OP asks what a flat of shells is "worth" in todays market.

To some, it my be $70-$100.

To a high school trap shooter with only a sixteen ga, gun, that flat of shells might mean the difference of being able to compete this year or not. I don't what the cost of that is.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:10 am  Reply with quote

Just because some people are dumb enough to pay 160.00 a flat for regular 16 gauge shells don't make it right to charge that much. If you paid 50 a flat, and are a true hunter, shooter or re loader, or shit just a decent person you don't resale to make 3 times what you paid. And if a young shooter is buying them, then for sure what you paid for them, if not give them to him/her. I just bought a flat of rst shells for under 140 shipped, one of the best in my book. No way does herter's even come close.
hiplainsdrifter
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
Just because some people are dumb enough to pay 160.00 a flat for regular 16 gauge shells don't make it right to charge that much. If you paid 50 a flat, and are a true hunter, shooter or re loader, or shit just a decent person you don't resale to make 3 times what you paid. And if a young shooter is buying them, then for sure what you paid for them, if not give them to him/her. I just bought a flat of rst shells for under 140 shipped, one of the best in my book. No way does herter's even come close.

You think Cabela's paid 50.00 for them? I definitely agree it's good to be generous, but It is absolutely not a moral shortcoming to buy for less and charge more, especially when supported by high demand. That's called capitalism bud.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

$140.00 a flat for target loads........I get capitalism. I get shortages. I also know that once you pay that price you just dropped your drawers and showed the world what you got.

It's fine if the affluent can afford to pay that price but what about the families with 2 or 3 kids trying to get started? What about the guy that just wants to shoot a few rounds of skeet or trap? You are going to lose these folks and others......not good.

Be careful of showing the world what you are willing to do. It just ain't the ammo manufacturers watching this. You have a group in DC looking to impose taxes on guns and ammo, if they see that you are willing to pay stupid money.....

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

Hdrifter: capitalism hardly, stealing is what they call it where I’m from. And no cabela’s didn’t pay, what customers pay, everyone deserves to make a profit, matter of fact any business that stays in business has to make a profit. Business being the key word. This was a fellow hunter, shooter or reloader I assume. Maybe folks where your from stick it to those kind, but not me. If you bought it cheap and then wanna sell high, a forum like this is probably not the place, but then again I’m assuming you have asked for help with something, and someone from here kindly helped out! I’m assuming again that you didn’t send them 50 bucks worth of capitalism.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

Back when Cabelas' was dropping Herters I bought 15 boxes of .410 at $4.50 a box. I was offered $20.00 a box a couple of weeks ago. Said nope bought em to shoot.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:56 am  Reply with quote

Carnelian , I would just list them for what you think is a fair price and if they sell then you know your price is good.

I would try for a local sale , shipping is going to be expensive.
df
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:11 am  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
Back when Cabelas' was dropping Herters I bought 15 boxes of .410 at $4.50 a box. I was offered $20.00 a box a couple of weeks ago. Said nope bought em to shoot.

I agree. I have quite a few flats of Herters 16 ga. I believe I paid $55 for them. I wouldnt pay much more than that if I needed to buy today, nor will I scalp them to people who think they’re worth much more. They’re get blasted at doves this September, and the next September, and the next.......