16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ammo shelves at the local Wally World yesterday...
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

Pretty much the same everywhere.

Not to worry. The factories are making ammo and it does make it to the shelves. Wally World, or at least my local one, seems to be the only store not placing limits on how many boxes a single purchaser may buy. The local-to-me Cabela's does and everyone seems OK with that.

The key thing is "don't be a hog" or, as others have said "don't be That Guy". You know, the one who buys as much as he can stuff into his arms or a shopping cart. Among the gentlemen and gentlewomen who reside here, we really don't have to be told that. Moreover, we know that the Red Gods will smile on those who "don't be That Guy" and frown on those who hog things. I can testify to that. They gave me a brick of .22 AND a brick of primers in the same trip last month. At normal retail prices. And I am grateful to the Red Gods for it and will not abuse their generosity. I will abstain from selling at the inflated prices I could get. But if a friend needs, I might help them out. FTF in Maine only.

When things were getting tight last summer there were some of Those Guys coming up from other states and buying by the shopping cart(s), looking to flip their purchases. Some stores took plate numbers. Some stores went so far as to phone law enforcement in Those Guys' home states.

The best thing to do in a panic like we have is either abstain, or buy only at normal retail prices. Let the hustlers and flippers alone. Remember the stores that gouge, or try to. Some of this panic could be stupid people acting stupidly. Some of it could be malevolent people deliberately causing a panic. We can't know which the people running up prices are, so it's best to just avoid them.

A relative related how he went to an in-person auction last week and people bid up Russian-made AKs to $2800 and $3000. That's just stupid, panicky people being stupid and panicked. The other week there were 2 or 3 guys on Gunbroker bidding up a tarted-up Mossberg 500 to over $700. Stupid or malevolent, doesn't matter. Don't be That Guy. (But feel free to laugh at them.)

hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

That's two more boxes than the local Wally here Embarassed
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

Some things in life you cannot "unsee."

For me, it's a guy pushing a grocery cart through a Sportsman's Warehouse maybe a year or two ago completely filled to the brim with ammo of all kinds. I was thinking to myself that the cartfull of ammo was going to cost the guy $10,000. Let the apocalypse begin.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Picked up four boxes of Federal Top Gun trap loads at my local farm supply store this afternoon. Limit was two boxes of anything per person, so it was good thing my Girlfriend was with me.

Winter league started this week, and it's about half the usual number of folks signed up because there's no ammo, no powder, no primers...
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:17 am  Reply with quote

the saving grace for the spring kids trap league was Federals offer to supply shells at 6 a box . Talk about a cluster !! schools didn't know if they were to order or how , or if we would be doing it etc . And , it all came on very short notice . Our Sec at the club was able to work directly with Fed and get it done . Looks like we have an adequate # for their needs . Not only were the schools totally not used to this , they still have till end of March to complete the teams . THANX FED for that !!..... 150 flats of win Super Sport trap loads landed at the dealers Tues while I was there , Gone by thurs !! Brooks has a members load of Italian 20 ga target loads for their members - The waiting line will be awesome today !!....ok , wife was feeling frisky about shopping . Just returned from our local Wally World - 2 guns in the case and not a single shell of anykind !! NADA

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

F2F,

Not to much better out this way, people have purchased just about everything off the shelves, best way to purchase right now is from an independent gun shop or small sporting goods store. I still order from Lion County for my RST and Poly shells.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

I usually order a couple of mixed cases of shells and break them down into my different storage cases, using my military ammo boxes and my leather show cases. The RST SpredR's were hard to get this year, and I had to order their Vintage shells and the Poly SpredR's to cover the needs at the log cabin training facility. Things are definitely getting tight for purchasing good shells.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

I've got plenty of hunting loads; it's target loads that are hard to come by. Spring trap league starts in a couple weeks; I THINK I've got enough to get me through, but after that... Shocked

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:34 am  Reply with quote

F2F,

Have not seen any AA's on a shelf for quite some time, they get purchased almost immediately every where.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

Kicking myself in the butt now for selling all my shotgun reloading stuff a couple of years ago.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:39 pm  Reply with quote

Aurelio,

I was just thinking the same thing the other night, sold my MEC and all the components after RST came up with the SpredR loads I have been using in all my L.C. Smith and Best German double guns. Maybe I acted a might to fast, we will see how thing go over the next couple years.

From the looks of it even Components are getting harder to find!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

hayseed
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek / Dave,

Just wondering, how many shells do you shoot, while hunting, during a average season?
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

hayseed,

We usually go thru a case and a half of mixed RST & Poly SpredR shells from the beginning of Grouse & Woodcock in October, to the end of Pheasant season in late February. If we travel to NH, Me or the UP we can use a little more.

We do have a nice Pheasant stocking here in Potter/Tioga and along with the hold overs our 12 and 16 gauge guns get used quite a bit.. The Grouse and Woodcock shells on an average year almost empty the mixed case of 8's, 7 1/2's and 6's. This all depends on how much snow we get and if we are able to hunt every day or every other day during the season. It varies with the weather no doubt about it..

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man