16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Preserve Pheasants
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

I have that book Dave good read. Joe
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

I am hearing that there are a couple of legit, good bird hunting shows on YouTube. I intend to check them out. We're talking real wild bird stuff and not leased up-locked up either. A friend who is as sentimental about birds as any of us pointed them out to me, one in particular. Maybe there is hope...

nwmac
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:28 am  Reply with quote

Wyochukar is correct. You Tube has a wealth of hunting videos that are good entertainment and some are informative. You have to sift through a lot, but once you get the hang of searching with key words or phrases it is amazing what is out there. One amateur series has me searching for the location of quail and chukar hunts in my region. Pulling out maps and trying to match up what the video shows with actual locations is a great off season activity, and hopefully leads me to productive hunting next fall.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:59 am  Reply with quote

our own Nick Hammack made a pheas hunting show back probably 14yrs or so ago . Would be a hoot to be able to find it !!

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

BWW & Tramroad28,

One of the problems with putting bird hunting shows on today is men like Bing & Phil are not participating in the shows any more. We need men like Tom Selleck or Chuck Norris to draw our sportsman viewership, when the shows are made. Lets face it both Bing and Phil were big time stars in their era, they drew the sportsman to watch what they participated in, what they actually liked to due in the field, which in turn payed the bills for making the shows. When was the last time one of our modern stars was featured in a bird hunt. Political correctness unfortunately has helped to undermine our Upland shooting life. As the saying goes Jimmy Dean is a long time gone.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
kjack
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:54 am  Reply with quote

My most enduring memory is Robert Stack (champion skeet shooter in his youth) putting 2 .458 shots, about an inch apart, into the forehead of a pissed off elephant in full, ears out charge. First shot put the elephant on his haunches.

The second hero was the cameraman who stayed on Mr Stack’s right shoulder to capture it all.

kjack
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:55 am  Reply with quote

My most enduring memory is Robert Stack (champion skeet shooter in his youth) putting 2 .458 shots, about an inch apart, into the forehead of a pissed off elephant in full, ears out charge. First shot put the elephant on his haunches.

The second hero was the cameraman who stayed on Mr Stack’s right shoulder to capture it all.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I have to admit I like the shows The Flush puts on for me to view on my computer.
Bill Schrek's show from Pine Ridge in Maine was just great. Very high class and well done for a Woodcock and Grouse hunting show. With the addition of the American Classic double guns, and inter action of the people who own Pine Ridge, it was one of the best modern shows, I have watch in along long time.

If you get a chance definitely give it a viewing. Well worth while.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

BWW
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

Pine ceeek/ Dave
Agreed. I do like the current shows. I am just older(by a long way).
They are just not the things that a young guy with 3 TV channels and hunting with grandpa ,dad and uncle and cousin on a fall day in Oklahoma have.
I am too old ,too seasoned and love misty foggy memories.

Bob
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

BWW,

I have a lot of those kind of memories myself of when PA had incredible wild Pheasant hunting along with a big big number of Ruffed Grouse and Woodcock. In our family the Upland shooting life & Fly Fishing are a way of life, not just not a sport.

Every time I step out the front door of my log cabin in Potter/Tioga County, Pa, I feel my Grandfather and Father walking with me into our Grouse woods. There is no doubt that my Father was correct, I am a throw back to my Grandfathers era. Much of what is going on today makes my stomach sick.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man