16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  How to use 16ga fed 1oz shot cups
Jta5er
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

Just bought 1000 fed 1oz purple shot cups. Was hoping to put a gas seal from bp or fiber wad under and load short 1oz roll crimped in ched hull. Anybody tried this before? How thin of a card wad can I use this way to minimize height? Does fed cup produce open or tight patterns? I have once fired star crimp hulls that I think I can shorten enough to make good looking roll crimps and still fit close to 1oz?

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

I have not used these, but must ask, why the roll crimp? 2 1/2" chambered gun? A plain shot cup and gas seal should easily leave enough room for 1 oz. loads in a 2 1/2" hull with fold crimp. I would think you would need a bit of a filler wad between the two in a 2 3/4" hull, even with a fold crimp.

Jta5er
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

I have many ched once fired star crimp hulls that I would like to cut the folds out of to get nice roll crimps. They will be less than 2 1/2 in after cut. Also didn’t know what kind of pattern I would get with fed cups? I have some old Alcan cards and fiber wads but they measure .678-.685 is that to large for a 16 bore .662-.670?

4setters
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:40 pm  Reply with quote

J5,
Most fiber/felt/card wads are slightly oversized, but for a purpose, which is to provide better gas seal. If they are 16 gauge wads, they should work in 16 gauge hulls. I'm not sure what kind of pattern you may get out of the Federal shot cups, but Federal still uses them with the "post" gas seal in current shells, so it will probably be similar. Other than adjusting stack height with "sliced" fiber wads, the shot cups should work fine in whatever length of hull you end up with.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

The 1976 Lyman manual provides some data for federal hulls and shot cups
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

Jta5er,

Let's start with the gas seal. Precision Reloading and Ballistics Products both sell the same gas seal made by Baschieri & Pellagri. They will work well in the Cheddite hull.

As far as the fiber/felt wad. I will guess at either 3/8" or 1/2". It is difficult to know how thick without knowing which powder you will be using. Felt wads are better, fiber wads are cheaper. Precision Reloading and Ballistics Products have these also.

The overshot cards are .028" thick. Precision Reloading and Ballistics Products have the O/S cards.

As far as how they will pattern, pretty well in all probability, but you are going to have to do some patterning to know for sure.

Jta5er
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, I like playing with the roll crimp shells. I have several sxs 16s now and they actually cycle better in my a5s than my reg crimp cheddites do. My size master with short kit leaves a very slight bulge around the top with cheds only. No problem with rgls or compression formed only cheds.
But the drill press roll crimp on cheds and rios are perfect.

Appreciate the help just never did the stackable loads before.

I did find several pages of old spread sheets if anyone needs load data for 16ga!

Jta5er
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

Ok cut ched 2.5in fold crimp down to 2.25 which removed all creases.
Loaded them with ns209,green dot, 16ga bp gas seal, .25 20ga felt, fed cup, 15/16oz lead and overshot card. Guess I will send out some for testing.

Maybe try some in my Bruno 16( it’s my test gun, crazy thick poldi barrels)