16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Went bird hunting today...
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

I have been going through old magazines and boxing them up lately. This of course brings about a great many memories and the inevitable yearning. Something I do every year about this time is go on a dogless hunt for the worst tasting bird on earth. Not only are not fit for the table, but they're pretty crunchy too. But then again, clay pigeons are about the only thing in season around here now and I needed to get out and walk the draws.

People shoot targets on public land here and seldom go for follow up flushes or retrieves on blue rocks (dogs really don't care to hold them in their mouths anyway). The biggest drawback to hunting orphaned clay pigeons is that they leave no scent for the dog, so it's strictly "spot and stalk". The good news is that they hold really well, just walk over and pick them up. The flush comes later once placed in a launcher.

All in all, it was a productive "hunt" as the round critters had amassed over the course of winter. After combing most of the popular spots I wound up a 90 bird afternoon. Anybody have a good recipe for these things?

[[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/63120_1024x683/] [/URL]][/img]

duckdup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

Looks like a good day in the field...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
nwmac
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:10 am  Reply with quote

Wyo, The best recipe I know is to air fry those birds and spice with 1 oz of #8!
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:12 am  Reply with quote

You must be bored!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

harkom
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:58 am  Reply with quote

I reckon that you could save on your cartridge expense if you get a single 8G and use it for a flock shot on those critturs....after the fun of a good stalk. ....!!
BWW
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

Again, mission accomplished, that was FUNNY!
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Garhart thanks for the chuckle, you always love me wanting more.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

I grew up in North Dakota, far away from any shooting facility, but fortunately always close to shooting of all kinds, thanks to my dad. Barnyard clays was one of the games. We were far enough away from any stores in those days that clay pigeons were a carefully guarded resource. We'd try to throw them out over thicker, taller grass, so we could recover those that were unbroken. The search for the "re-launchables" was just another part of the game necessary to make our shooting last longer, so the search became a naturally fun thing. We'd re-throw any piece large enough to fit in Dad's old Remington Blue Rock thrower. If anybody is close to the Twin Cities and would like some unscathed, never been shot at, clay targets, I have a couple of cartons of them you can have for free. I have no further use for them; I hope you throw them for your kids. PM me. If I can find the throwers, you can have them too. I think I still have one that throws doubles -- the famous Melco thrower.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:51 am  Reply with quote

Made me laugh! Yes its a great idea for an Easter egg hunt with the kids and no sugar high. Joe
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:48 am  Reply with quote

We were a bit bored last weekend as well, and managed to get a few flushing. Due to the wind conditions it wasn't possible to attempt any 50 yard shots Sad and just to keep the traditionalists happy we are using a classic side by side, so no 3rd shots! Definitely a fun afternoon!

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

skeet and trap hunting is going bonkers here - next wkend will be IMPOSSIBLE ! Mostly 50 bird limits !! Skeet shootoff , both trap leagues and the 3 HS trap teams will start !