16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  3 Shot Sweet Sixteen
win7stw
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:32 am  Reply with quote

Thanks to 16’er for posting the link to the auction for this gun. I picked it up last week. I took it completely apart and cleaned it up. Put a different stock on it too. The first time I took it out I got two partridge and a rooster. Missed a few that day as well. The second time out was on Monday and shot it well. I got a limit of Huns and roosters

Last edited by win7stw on Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

Yeeee Hawww
And drilled barrel and milled receiver is JOY

VERY nice

Great pictures

Mike

win7stw
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

So after pheasant season was done I decided to try and restore this gun[/img] a little bit. The stock had been shortened but had the curve ground in it for a horn plate. I flattened out the curve and added a pad to get the original LOP. The forearm had the typical crack in it so I repaired that too. I then stripped, refinished, and re-cut the checkering.

Jta5er
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

Very special rare beautiful gun that looks great and obviously fits you. That would be a lifelong keeper. Congrats.

Beagleman
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Nice work. Youve given that 3 shot a 2nd life.

putz463
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:52 am  Reply with quote

Sweet- hunt, gun, and resto. Not familiar with the A5 "3 Shot" what makes it a 3 shot? Some Rem 48's have a dimple in the mag tube making them 3 shot firearms; is it similar to that?

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:27 am  Reply with quote

Quite a nice A5! Interesting about this 3-Shot version - news to me. There is, of course, the Sportsman version of the Remington 11, but it has a less attractive-looking forend design from this 3-Shot Browning, which retains the forend look I like. I'm surprised this A5 has the old-type safety, yet has the sliding ejector piece necessary for 2 3/4 inch shells. I don't know all the history, but I would have bet the guns with old through-the-front-of the-triggerguard safeties had 2 9/16 inch chambers - probably a good thing I didn't! Has this gun been modified for 2 3/4 inchers, or did someone put a newer Sweet 16 barrel on an older gun? Can someone set me straight on when Browning went to the back-of-the-triggerguard button-type safety?

By the way, I'm not trying to cast asperities against the gun, as it is a good one in any event, and you've done nice work on it and with it. I wish you continued enjoyment with this gun. Thanks for the pictures.
win7stw
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:35 am  Reply with quote

Maximum Smoke, this is a 1938 gun that has unfortunately been converted to 2-3/4" shells. It took me a long time to find a 3 shot so I had to jump on it even though it has been modified. The crossbolt safety didn't come around until 1951 if I remember correctly. The barrel is original and numbered to the gun. It is a rare unmarked Sweet Sixteen. The top of the barrel is matted, 5 holes instead of the normal 3 on the barrel ring, gold trigger, and the action has been milled out.

rjlance
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

Nice gun. I once owned and 16ga A5 "3 shot". Not a "sweet" so yours is extra special. The old "suicide" safety. Don't miss those.

Here is a link to my post about my 3-shot .

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23565

win7stw
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

Great story Bob. As a southpaw I love the “suicide” safety

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

I have 2 A5's (I think) with that old style safety. I have gotten quite good with that safety. I don't understand the "suicide" concept; such safeties seem more anti-suicidal or more accident resistant than most. I park the index finger of my trigger hand (trigger finger) inside the trigger guard, pointed forward against the safety, with a little room to move forward to quickly dis-engage the safety when needed. That works fine. I do have to keep the nail of that finger trimmed very well, though, to make that work best. I'm not really a fan of cross-button rear-of-the-triggerguard safeties, though I can do OK with them. I was raised on front-of the triggerguard cross-button safeties on Wincheste Model 12's. Anything works, however, if the shooter is accustomed to it. I use all types. The safeties on Beretta O/U's are the worst for me -- low, slick (low grip/traction) and lacking tactile feeling.
kgb
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:45 am  Reply with quote

Some of the images I took of the 3-shot Sweet 16 I used to own, comparing it to the standard 5-shot Sweet of the same vintage, survived picture hosting issues and show a few of the differences in the model.

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16621&highlight=sweet

Those safeties through the front of the trigger guard are not the suicide version, but are commonly called that. The earlier type was completely within the trigger guard, those look much more prone to cause accidents but since neither is the common cross-bolt style I guess it's just easy to lump them together. To me, these are M1-Garand style.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody know if they made a 3 shot version in 20ga?

TIA
B
win7stw
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

I don’t believe they did