16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  870 Madness!
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

What is going on with the price of Remington 870's these days? People are paying double and triple book value now. Yes I know there are a lot of new shooters and one of the most common statements written over the years is that the 870 is the perfect first shotgun for somebody, but still, it's crazy.

I am not seeing this same trend in other parts of the shotgun market. Things are up a little bit in general and small bore American doubles keep creeping upward, but nothing like has happened with 870's.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

Why are folks paying $250.00 for a brick-500 rounds-of .22 lr ammo Embarassed Rolling Eyes
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:29 am  Reply with quote

as Joni Mitchell sang....you don't know what you've got till it's gone.....

Gran16
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:45 am  Reply with quote

Crazy times! The same thing was happening with the marlin lever guns too.
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Its not just 870's. Try looking on GB at 1100's or just about anything Remmy.
As far as Marlins, they have been purchased by Ruger. When I was talking to Ruger a couple weeks ago about something else, I asked what is going to happen to Marlin and was told they plan on starting production again sometime this summer.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:04 am  Reply with quote

Guns and ammo have become everyman’s gold.
Beagleman
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

Not just Remington. Collector quality old Browning A5's have gone through the roof. 2 sweet 16's were auctioned on Gunbroker in the last month and they sold for $6500.00 and $4625.00 if memory serves. Both of these guns appeared to be as new in box. As nice a couple of guns as you will ever see. But prices like these makes a man with several old, nice Brownings think maybe selling is better than collecting.....

Last edited by Beagleman on Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gran16
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:12 am  Reply with quote

It seems like it has started to calm down some at least. That may be wishful thinking but I see some guns that didn’t last long on auction site a few months ago still there and some prices coming down. Maybe if Remington gets started back up soon that will help.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:20 am  Reply with quote

"Collector quality" A5's, 870's and 1100's Shocked Wow, you heard it here! Let the hoarding begin -- or continue. It's good to know, then, that all that junk in the back of my gun cabinets is worth real money. De gustibus non est disputandum or, translated from Latin: "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes". Laughing We are free to choose. Whatever blows your hair back, baby! . . . and another little market rolls on.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:21 am  Reply with quote

G16 - yeah , it'll be interesting to see what the new versions look like and how they are priced .... still like the original 870 versions best - 70 yrs old !!

S.davis
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

I like 1100s, the 11-87 Premiers, and I find the V3 to be very functional, but the only Remington gun that was in production that I really hold in any regard was the wingmaster. Semi-autos kind of come and go for me, including some Remingtons. I currently have a V3 and it’s the only semi-auto I own. I use it when I end to shoot steel or if I’m going volume shooting, but I don’t have any special feeling for it. I did buy it very cheap, though, and think I’d have trouble replacing it at the cost I paid for it, except with another gun of similar quality (A300, SX4, etc.). It shoots well, functions flawlessly, and I don’t fuss at all over it on a duck hunt. My wingmasters, kind of run the spectrum. There are a couple I don’t like to bang around, a couple that are my default bad weather bird guns, and everything in between. But I love them all. I even love my Sportsman 12 Pump (870 Express predecessor, basically a wingmaster with less polished blueing and birch furniture), which is all turkey-gunned out.

Nonetheless, the price wingmasters are fetching has tempted me. I bought most of the ones I own in pawn shops and probably could have sold any of them for more than I paid for all of them combined. At one point, I watched a late 70s magnum go for about $1000, but I felt pretty sure I couldn’t buy another gun for under $1000 that I liked as much as any of the wingmasters I own. While I’m not very optimistic about Remington’s return to production, and even less optimistic about the wingmaster returning to production, I think the insanity will taper off and they’ll regress to mean.
fourtown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

Before this site became "popular", I would see decent used 16 ga Wingmasters and Ithaca 37's at country gun shops that could be bought for about $150. "16 ga, nice guns, but in a couple years you won't be able to get shells for them" was the local wisdom at the time.

Of course, at that time I believed that local wisdom.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

As a dealer, I'm not complaining. As a shooter however, the ammo shortage sucks! Thanks God I at least have some reloading supplies on hand.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

I'm seeing ammo lie unsold on auction websites, too. This is a good sign.

model70man
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:04 am  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
Its not just 870's. Try looking on GB at 1100's or just about anything Remmy.
As far as Marlins, they have been purchased by Ruger. When I was talking to Ruger a couple weeks ago about something else, I asked what is going to happen to Marlin and was told they plan on starting production again sometime this summer.

Ruger will begin Marlin production in Mayodan, NC at the same facility where they make the Ruger American Rifles. They bought an existing facility and did some major reworking of it.