16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Who shoots a Merkel O/U?
3drahthaars
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

Specifically, who shoots a 200 or 201?

I am looking for an Owners Manual for a pre-2000 O/U.

Any leads?

thanks in advance,

3d
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

i have a 201E made in 1953. I have to admit that it is a 12 ga and I don't have a manual for it, but may be able to answer a question about it.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

Something like this?

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/merkel_overunder.pdf

Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Something like this?

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/merkel_overunder.pdf

This manual is for the later 2000 series. I have a 201 in 12 ga. from 1968, and love it. Two barrel sets; field M/F and Skt1/Skt2. The manual is a generic users manual and it seems as applicable to almost all O/Us. The initial plan was for this guns to be my lifetime piece, but of course others have joined it.

After I joined 16ga.com I now use a Husqvarna m51 hammer double for blackpowder and a Merkel Model 8 for smokeless. Too many guns, too little time!
3drahthaars
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

I need one for the 200 series, because I need to see how to relax the hammers without firing empty chambers.

I'm seriously looking at a 12ga Merkel/Simson/Sauer to have something cheaper to shoot to practice on the double triggers...

I have a Sauer SxS 16 that I'm getting bored out SK/SK for practice and probably would open a 12ga down to IC/M.

But, the 201E I hope to keep original for turkeys and use spreader loads for upland misc. game.

thanks for the replies,

3ds
Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

I use snapcaps to drop the hammers before separating the gun for storage.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

I don't see any way of lowering the firing pins without dismantling at least some of the gun. My solution is snap caps.
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:23 am  Reply with quote

I do not have a manual so not exactly sure what make or model or series mine is but on the side of the chamber/barrel and under the action body some engraving reads; Gebruder Merkel Suhl and nowhere on it is any indication of 200 or 201 or etc. It looks similar to the pics you guys post of Merkels but mine doesn't have cocking indicators. If this qualifies as a Merkel...

safety disclaimer....with the gun empty.... muzzles on boot, open gun, holding the auto safety forward and pulling the triggers at the same time with right hand fingers and holding lever open with left thumb then close the gun and slowly release the spring pressure on the lever with the left thumb then release the safety and triggers.... relaxes the hammers on mine.

Hope this helps. best of luck with it

3drahthaars
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Putz,

That is what I'm looking for...

... I was just hoping to find it in a manual so that I know exactly what the mechanism is for de-cocking.

Never made sense that after firing on snap caps and opening the action that the hammers wouldn't be cocked again!

Thanks,

3ds
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:50 pm  Reply with quote

All the SXS in our cabinet strongly dislike disassembly with lowered (decocked) hammers. They come apart easily enough, but the problem comes when reassembling them, as the plungers interfere and strikers jam and hammers try to cock themselves when the gun is halfway together. Broken and bent strikers etc have resulted. What an ugly mess. So we only disassemble in fully cocked mode. Won’t even attempt disassembly with the O/Us unless fully cocked, keeps it simple. Not sure about Merkel however, but I would be very careful.

B.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:27 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
All the SXS in our cabinet strongly dislike disassembly with lowered (decocked) hammers. They come apart easily enough, but the problem comes when reassembling them, as the plungers interfere and strikers jam and hammers try to cock themselves when the gun is halfway together. Broken and bent strikers etc have resulted. What an ugly mess. So we only disassemble in fully cocked mode. Won’t even attempt disassembly with the O/Us unless fully cocked, keeps it simple. Not sure about Merkel however, but I would be very careful.

B.

And that doesn't even begin to address how to recock the ejectors if you drop the hammers while disassembled. I gashed myself bigtime on an ejector hook on my Simson sxs once and thereafter decided disassembly cocked and no dropping the hammers was the way to go.