16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Went "bird" hunting today-part two: adding a twist
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

Okay, so many of you know I recently went out and rounded up stray clay pigeons so as to give them second flight. However, one thing that has always bothered me about the things is they are usually orange! Real birds aren't orange and I have often pondered just how bizarre it is to train ourselves to shoot when we see blaze orange anyway. Then there is the unsightly mess the things leave.

Ah, but there must be a solution right? Of course, get rid of the orange with spray paint. I may have taken it a bit far though, I camouflaged them, like real birds. Now they are going to be tougher to see against the background, but if the purpose is to hone bird shooting skills, why not?

I am hoping the alternating bands of tan and brown will actually flicker as the clay spins and sort of simulate rapid wing beats. We'll see when I shoot them. I know what you're all are thinking: "WyoChukar has squirrels in the attic". Maybe so, but they're terribly entertaining!

[[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/63175_512x768/] [/URL]][/img]

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:42 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Garhart heck we have been doing this with the old hand held clay throwers to simulate Grouse gunning for years. Just watch how your gunning percentage drops off until you get use to picking them up in flight.

If you have a good machine thrower and color the clays green, brown or Camo you're shooting percentage becomes pretty realistic for grouse gunning, hitting about 1 for three if you do not get to call pull, before looking to gun the clays. Shooting the small green or brown clay becomes a lot more difficult with a wobble trap machine also. The Camo colored clays are real challenging!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
4setters
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

Garhart,
Not squirrels in the attic--just the opposite. However, you may have a little too much time on your hands . . . . . Shocked

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

Actually, time is shorter than normal. I just built a skid structure art studio, remodeled Mom's barn (cleaned out and put shelving everywhere), and am helping tear down someone else's barn...and still catching a few walleyes, seining minnows, and moving my belongings in preparation to selling my house. Oh, and I am helping a friend tear out kitchen cabinets next week (saving those for upcoming project).

4setters
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:24 am  Reply with quote

Garhart, Sounds like you need to get a full time, 8 to 5 job--so you can slow down and have more time to hunt and fish! That's the conclusion I came to shortly after retiring a few years back (hasn't happened, however). Keep us in the loop!

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:34 pm  Reply with quote

I took a break and worked my "regular" job today-hauled high school golfers. Yeah, it's going to be a busy few months if what I have planned works out...and then come bird season, back to what passes for normal in my life!