16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Found something really cool: 16 ga. double size!
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:10 pm  Reply with quote

I have been busy as a beaver lately. I built a skid structure art studio, am completely revamping the barn below Mom's house, and am helping dismantle another barn for a friend so we can salvage building materials and shelving (which ended up in the skid structure and Mom's barn).

Part of tearing down the other barn is removing its contents and the previous owner was quite a pack rat. One rare item(s) I never expected to find is a bunch of 8 ga. hulls. Yep, a 16 ga. doubled in size (or close enough). These are too cool to throw out, so I am trying to sort out the good ones.

[img[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/63177_512x768/] [/URL][/img]

Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:00 am  Reply with quote

8 ga. loads were used in "slagbuster" guns to break up "clinkers" in boilers and kilns. Remington and Winchester made loads and specialty guns for the purpose.
ROMAC
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:53 am  Reply with quote

I read that they were also used to start large machine engines.

The article I read said there is a movie with Jimmie Stewart and he is working on a farm and he uses them in a scene.
Gordon Disharoon
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:04 am  Reply with quote

I think that movie was The Flight of the Phoenix.

Regards, Gordon

top_cat
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:44 am  Reply with quote

Navy FM2 Wildcats had a shotgun start feature. They used a 4 gauge paper shell filled with slow burning powder to spin a starter gear. Spun a Wright 1820 cubic inch engine. I'll bet the load was measured in ounces, not grains.
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

8ga guns were made ny several companies for waterfowl hunters back in the 1800's and early 1900's. LC Smith and several others included. The LC Smith Collectors association had one on display at the latest Southern Side by Side Classic in 2019.
Probably be more fine guns on display at the event later this month in Sanford, N.C.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

R-E-C-O-I-L Shocked Shocked
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:33 am  Reply with quote

we just had this topic come up at our coffee club a week or 2 ago . Mentioned that back a couple yrs ago , a member at a nearby club brought a Parker in - 8 ga . Neat gun for sure . One of the guys at our club had some shells and brought them in to peruse ! Not sure about the payload / recoil factor though !!

Last edited by 16gaDavis on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Zrexxer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:45 am  Reply with quote

Gil S wrote:
8 ga. loads were used in "slagbuster" guns to break up "clinkers" in boilers and kilns. Remington and Winchester made loads and specialty guns for the purpose.

I'd never heard of this before, so I went searching for additional information. I found this video on YouTube showing exactly that being done. Check out the pile of hulls on the floor early in the video! https://youtu.be/3i82WuHCGAk

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

These were used as clinker busters. There previous occupant had a son who worked at a power plant.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:32 am  Reply with quote

A couple photo and text displays:
from a South African company: https://industrialcartridgesa.com/8-gauge-kiln-system/
from Winchester: the equipment https://winchesterindustrial.com/equipment.html and the shells https://winchesterindustrial.com/loads.html On the shells, note the interesting design of the head, something like a belted magnum but not really. I suppose this is to make the shells unusable in shotguns.
And a trip to the range. https://www.ballisticmag.com/2018/12/04/remington-masterblaster-industrial-gun/

Before you get the idea of "what a great job it would be, shooting this" consider a different perspective. A friend of a friend got a job in a factory making machineguns. His job was proof firing and live-fire function checking. In other words, feed the new machinegun a fresh belt of ammo and fire away.
When he started, he was ecstatic. He was getting paid to shoot machineguns all day. This could be the best job in the world!
A month later, he was despondent - bored to death at work doing the same thing over and over and over all day long.
Shooting the kilns is like that.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:54 am  Reply with quote

Note the larger diameter "band" just above the rime on these hulls. That marks them as "clinker busters". They are made with this enlarged section near the base to prevent them from being chambered/fired in a shotgun. The fellows that load shells to shoot in their 8 gauges use these clinker-buster hulls because that's about all they can get nowadays, but they have to first fixture them in a lathe or some other spinning device and turn down that raised up band so they'll chamber.
bigblue
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:59 am  Reply with quote

I have a loaded paper Win 3inch 8 gauge loaded shell its marked Industrial reduced velocity and a 3inch CIL 8gauge plastic loaded hull marked Industrial. I would post some pics if i could figure out how to do it ?
Researcher
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:27 am  Reply with quote

The "standard" 8-gauge shell here in North America was 3 1/4 inch. They did provide NPEs up to 4-inch. Here are the 8-gauge loads offered by UMC in 1903 --

and by The Remington Arms Union Metallic Cartridge Co., Inc. in the 1918-19 catalog --

The 5 1/2 drams of bulk smokeless powder with 1 3/4 ounce of shot seems to be the load that shows up most often in collector cartridge auctions --

putz463
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:17 am  Reply with quote

Very interesting find and followup info, thanks for sharing! I remember reading about use in kilns but not the motor start thing albeit 4ga. Gr8 stuff.

I've heard that Clinkers don't fly very fast so you don't have to lead them by much.....