16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Stevens 555E 16ga
The_Honest_Pintail
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

What’s everyone’s honest opinion on the Stevens 555E 16ga? Looking to pick up a O/U. I had a Browning citori 16ga and shot it horribly plus it also had a problem of not firing the one barrel on occasion so I sold it. Any info is much appreciated thanks
Bill K
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

The model 555 is a well made, low cost, Turkish manufactured, good quality gun.

It will give you many years of satisfactory service.

Browning Citori Upland 16 GA circa 2014
Darne R10 1962
Browning Sweet Sixteen 16 GA circa 1957
Savage Fox Sterlingworth 16 GA circa 1934
Jwbarren
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:37 am  Reply with quote

I have the 555E in 16 Ga. The fit and finish is really nice, it handles well and hits what I’m shooting at. For the price, I don’t think you can beat it.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:23 am  Reply with quote

I don't have the 555E, however it is the same gun as the ATI Cavalry with less decoration, made by KOFS of Turkey. I have owned those in 12 ga. and .410. I still have the .410. Recently sold the 12 ga. to recoup some funds used on something I use more.

My take is that they are definitely better guns than other offerings from Turkey at this price point. The only issue I foresee is that the lugs that stop the barrels when the the gun is opened all the way/ trip the ejectors, do wear. As long as you don't slam it habitually this should never become an issue in a field gun. My guns shoot/ shot point of impact, about 60/40, and pointed/ balanced nicely which says a lot considering the lightweight and affordable price.

My only gripe was the modern stock dimensions, the comb was just too high, so I refitted the stock for my own needs. Others may love the stock fit, but I need more drop, like the old classic guns used.

If you are looking for an inexpensive O/U in 16 ga. you are on the right track. I am anything but impressed with the TriStar alternative (had one of those in .410-thing was a disaster).