<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Prince Phillip
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:11 am  Reply with quote

Hello All

As we get older ...

https://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/princephilip/

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:06 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, it is gratifying to read his story and realize what a sportsman and conservationist we just lost. The part about him being prevented from hunting due to the stent gave me pause. About 6 years ago, I had a heart issue and had 4 stents placed in my arteries. Unlike Prince Phillip, when I was discharged the doctor dictated that I not lift over 10 pounds until the artery seal in my groin healed. I told him my shotgun only weighed 6 1/2 pounds so assumed bird hunting would be OK. He looked at me for a few seconds, nodded his head and left without another word of advice, I was out chasing my dogs and shooting birds 4 days after the surgery with no ill affects. Maybe we've come a long way since the Prince had his surgery.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:15 am  Reply with quote

Skeettx,

Yes thanks for posting the article, looks like Prince Phillip was one great sportsman and I like the fact that he suffered no fools. His quote about gun control is a great one, and I remember reading about it, he was absolutely correct in much of his thinking.

The world just lost a great sportsman, no doubt about it!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
Thanks for the link, it is gratifying to read his story and realize what a sportsman and conservationist we just lost. The part about him being prevented from hunting due to the stent gave me pause. About 6 years ago, I had a heart issue and had 4 stents placed in my arteries. Unlike Prince Phillip, when I was discharged the doctor dictated that I not lift over 10 pounds until the artery seal in my groin healed. I told him my shotgun only weighed 6 1/2 pounds so assumed bird hunting would be OK. He looked at me for a few seconds, nodded his head and left without another word of advice, I was out chasing my dogs and shooting birds 4 days after the surgery with no ill affects. Maybe we've come a long way since the Prince had his surgery.

I found that odd as well. I have 3 stents one of which predates his by many years. Perhaps that was their way of getting him to give up that "Barbaric" sport. Rolling Eyes Sad to lose a proponent of the shooting sports, especially of his stature. By the way my last stent was done through my right wrist, waaaay easier then the groin.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Wish you guys well, after a few years with the stint, I had to have open heart surgery and I am back in the Grouse woods, moving a little slower however. It may have been the the Prince had a stent in a very dangerous place. He sounds like the type of man who definitely would have investigated his actual condition. He hunts with God now, where the birds & tigers never die, and there are no false points.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

GREAT Post/Link - too bad they included that picture of Harry given his recent issues.
707PS
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, very interesting.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

Got this from wj jeffery 16

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:44 am  Reply with quote

A great story. Thanks Bill
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

He was a great man , from being mentioned in despatches in WW2 to all his charity work and his service to Queen and country , he excelled at his many sports from Polo to carriage driving , just a real character and a man that many here would have enjoyed going out for a shot with.
Glad you guys enjoyed seeing this link that I sent to Mike .
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

I think Prince Phillip would have been a lot of fun to hang around with, get him talking and prod him with questions. Not to be jerk, but rather to pick his brain and maybe learn something. After all, who still knows what it was like to hunt tigers.

Harry doesn't hunt/shoot any more. His wife hates it. Made him sell his guns, too. I recall reading somewhere she made something of a scene about not going along with the Boxing Day shoot, choosing to stay inside or something. Guaranteed to get you off on the correct foot with the family who do shoot.

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

I always liked Phillip. He was a hero and a mischievous gent who kept the Queen’s eye for most of her life. Very sad of his passing but thankful to know enough about him to add his life to the list of those who inspire me. One can fantasize sharing a loader and hide on a driven shoot in the highlands, have a few drams of single after the guns are cased. What a guy 🥲

Reno