16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  TOP LEVER
nutcase
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

Too lazy to use the search.

When looking at the top lever on a double barrel gun what is the significance of the top lever being to the left, right or on center? How difficult or expensive is it to fix if there is a problem?

britgun
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:16 pm  Reply with quote

Remove the forend, but leave the barrels attached to the action. Now, grasp the wrist or grip of the gun with both hands, and give it a good shake for a few seconds......if there is no play in the action, then your gun is tight, regardless if the toplever is to the right, left, or dead center. Try this from time to time....if there is an occurence where the action is loose, you feel play in there, time to take it to a qualified smith and have him tighten it up, usually by adding metal to the forward lump......

britgun

Little Creek
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

Small gauge Foxes with the lever slightly to the left may actually have little free play left. The bolt holding the lever tower to the rotating locking lug may be touching the frame if the lever is even just a little to the left. I have two 16 gauge Foxes where that was the case. One required replacement of the rotary locking lug and the other, having a tight lug, required a slight build up on the barrel extension locking surface. One of these guns was tight when the forend was off, the other only slightly loose at the hinge.