16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Western Arms Long Range Gun
peckerheadernie
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:11 am  Reply with quote

Just picked up a 16 gauge Western Arms Long Range from I think 1935. Vivid case colors, single trigger with extractors. Has an Ithaca red pad which I do not think is original. Choked improved, modified with 26" barrels. Do not know a lot about these guns. Very nice condition. Can someone volunteer any info on this model?
nwmac
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:22 am  Reply with quote

I have a 20 ga Western Arms Long Range. Nice little gun. They were the budget line of guns Ithaca offered. The frame was made of malleable iron and hardened with a cyanide process. The pad may well be original as that was one of the options available for this gun. If you want to learn more about this Ithaca gun, go to the Ithaca site on Shotgunworld.com., be sure to include photos, or find a copy of Walter Snyders The Ithaca Gun Company, a fine read and good resource for information on Ithaca guns.
Researcher
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:57 am  Reply with quote

The 1931 Western Arms Corp. folder shows the DeLuxe gun with a Hawkins recoil pad and twin ivory sights.

The 1936 folder (I don't have a picture of it available) shows it with the Ithaca "bridge trestle" recoil pad. The period correct Ithaca pad would carry the line "PAT. APPL'D FOR" at the bottom of the logo --

The repros have the word "PATENTED" at the bottom of the logo as the post WW-II pads do.

Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:29 am  Reply with quote

I too have one in 20 ga, a true safe queen. Memory says 6 1/4 pounds. I always was amazed at how much quality and craftsmanship they put into these basic field guns.

FallCreekFan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:26 pm  Reply with quote

Mine is a 1937 16ga with 30" barrels. It has the original Ithaca "bridge trestle" pad and the single non selective trigger. Ithaca only offered 4 options on this gun (the other two being ivory beads and ejectors.)

You have an important piece of history as the Western Arms Long Range is likely the gun that saved Ithaca. It was introduced in 1929 just as the depression hit and while sales of the Ithaca ($37.50) and Lefever NS doubles ($29.00) plummented at $20.00 the Long Range sold strongly when an extra dollar was hard to come by. By the time it was phased out in 1946 over 65,000 had been produced.

Whether the timing of the Long Range's introduction was an example of executive genius or coincidence we'll likely never know but it definitely helped keep the lights on and men at work through tough years that sunk a lot of others.
Researcher
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Ejectors were only offered on the Western Arms Long Range Double from 1931 to 1935. By the January 25, 1936, Price List they were listed as discontinued. I can't imagine that in those tough depression years an $8.25 option was a big seller on a $20 gun.

FallCreekFan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

Me neither.
peckerheadernie
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

Made a mistake. Mine does have ejectors. So I guess it has all of the options available in 1935.