16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington Model 11
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:42 am  Reply with quote

I had one of my customers bring a Remington Model 11 by yesterday to resolve some issues he was having with his grandfather's old gun. He had a snap cap stuck in the magazine tube trying to figure out how to load shells. I resolved the issues quickly, removing the snap cap through the front of the tube and then showing him the button on the side needed to be depressed to move the feed ramp and load shells in the magazine. He was on his way in about 15 minutes.

As with most old guns, the first thing I did when I received his call was haul out my Numrich Arms catalog to see what parts were available. Surprisingly, nothing was listed for the Remington Model 11, although it was one of the early models of a series of John Browning's classic A-5. Does anyone have knowledge of whether or not A-5 parts interchange with the Model 11? Nothing in my library offers a clue on this issue. Luckily on this gun no parts were required.

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:27 am  Reply with quote

Will this not work?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/remington/shotguns-rem/11-2

Stack16
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemiester,
The only thing i know that will inter change is the friction rings, the 11 having a tapered top on the one. Other than that the Remington made Brownings will inter change all parts including the barrels (made from approx. 40 -46) as Belgium was occupied by Nazi Germany. The serial no. will be on the side like a model 11 with 16s starting with the letter A the 12s start with B the 20s start with C I hope I got that right. The magazine lock up lever is smaller and more difficult to grasp on the Rem. made Brownings.
Any one feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Griff

Stack16
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:47 am  Reply with quote

After farther thought, there are some differences even on the early early model 11s which had the safety that hangs down out of the receiver in front of the trigger ( which is the suicide safety not the one that most people think is, the one that slides back and forth in the front of the trigger guard on older Browning's ) Later models had the safety's at the back of the trigger guard. It obvious that things like that won't inter change and within gauges and chamber lengths and such, even the Remington made Brownings had the magazine cut off feature where the model 11 does not have it. John Browning would not let Remington use that feature when Remington had the patent.
And there is the 3 shot model 11 called the Sportsman. One other tid bit, the Rem. made Browning's the top of the receiver had a bit of parkerizing for lack of a better term, not exactly like the parkerizing of today.
That's all I can think of at the moment.

Griff

Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:36 am  Reply with quote

Here’s a Sportsman with a little battle damage but still an awesome gun:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/898852841
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Here’s a Sportsman with a little battle damage but still an awesome gun:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/898852841

The Remington Model 11 I worked on was a much nicer specimen than the one on Gunbroker. It had obviously been well cared for over its lifetime. Also, it was a standard model, not the sportsman.

Researcher
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

Wow!! Looking for a starting bid of $599 for that rat!! That is only a few dollars less than I have in my set of three and my 12- and 16-gauges are solid rib guns.

1941 12-gauge 30" full solid rib top
1938 16-gauge 26" Imp Cyl solid rib middle
1948 20-gauge 28-inch Mod plain barrel bottom

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:45 am  Reply with quote

What a splendid set of three shot Browning designs! You’ve been holding back on us Researcher.

BTW, do you have a rough idea of the weight of that 16 ga?

Regards,
B
Researcher
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

I don't have the weight of the 16-gauge recorded, but it is plenty heavy. A lot heavier than the lies Remington stated in their catalogs!!

It does hold the honor of being the only gun I ever got a triple with. While I much more often hunt with a double, I took the 16-gauge Sportsman out Pheasant hunting one day and just the right situation presented itself and I got three Roosters in three shots. Just to be honest, earlier in the day I missed a Rooster three shots with it.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Researcher wrote:
I don't have the weight of the 16-gauge recorded, but it is plenty heavy. A lot heavier than the lies Remington stated in their catalogs!!

It does hold the honor of being the only gun I ever got a triple with. While I much more often hunt with a double, I took the 16-gauge Sportsman out Pheasant hunting one day and just the right situation presented itself and I got three Roosters in three shots. Just to be honest, earlier in the day I missed a Rooster three shots with it.

That happened to me once, when I was a young man, in the middle of a plowed dirt field, with my springer spaniel. I was using a Browning BPS pump, and my dog put up three roosters in a row at about 20 yds, and I went click. Pump, click. Pump, click. Forgot to put shells in my gun. Doh! That opportunity has never presented itself since. Embarassed Laughing

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Researcher
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

My tiny English Setter "Skitso" was on some running birds in the thin grass cover up on a bluff. When the birds got to the edge they held and Skitso went on point, giving me time to get there for three Roosters out in clear blue sky over a stubble field far below. Skitso got two of them, but I couldn't get her to the third one which was actually laying right in a field road, so I had to work my way down the bluff and get her in the vicinity of the bird. Didn't think to take a picture until we were home in the garage.