16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Please help..I'm about to spend $2800.00
Dogfox
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:16 am  Reply with quote

Mr. jig:
I read your question a couple of times and understand you wanting a 28 gauge to shoot something different. You got a 16 S-worth a month or so ago and you wrote here or somewhere you're having trouble hitting clay targets with it. Also you already had a 12 XS but found that too heavy and unwieldy for bird hunting. My take on the 28 is the more different guns you shoot the less familiar you'll be with each of them and the less proficient you'll be with any of them. All have unique handling and sighting characteristics, your S-worth barrels are wide, low and light. The XS is narrow, long, heavier. Each of the 28's will be different. If your primary goal is to be an ethical hunter I would pick one of the existing guns and just use that one for everything. If you just want to experiment with the 28, recognize you're going to add another variable to the mix.
jig
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:03 am  Reply with quote

I did have problems with the Sterly until I raised the comb. Now I'm hitting good with it. Fortunately, I havent wounded any game yet with the sterly. But I've only shot quail with it so far 3 different hunts. The XS has been quail , rooster and chukar hunting. Have not wounded any game with that either. I agree that its always ideal to shoot one gun and be familiar with it. But hey, wheres the fun in that? What about different guns for different applications? You may be right though that I could just use the 16GA for pretty much everything neeeding from 1 1/8 to 3/4 oz of shot. Tyen maybe just reserve the 12GA for some clays and when i feel I need to shoot 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 oz of shot. I know the 28GA is really not needed, but would be fun to load for and experiment with, not to mention carry and look at.

Just makes too much sense though.
Fluesy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:06 am  Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Good Morning All-I am finding life requires far too many compromises and we all end up trying to work within the box of our beliefs/habits/desires. What I am finding is life is too short to have to compromise on such things as another gauge, a 12 or a 16 with 28 gauge tubes is a compromise. I am really becoming a 28 gauge fan, it is second only to the 16 as my prefered gauge, it kills way better than what it should. The point being, a 28 gauge gun is usually made on a 28 gauge frame, it should be a joy to carry and handling is a dream. I would buy the 28 gauge and would not look back, variety is the spice of life. I digress and also must report this past Friday my Wife and Myself went preserve hunting and I used a 12 gauge (gasp, I blaspheme). Hey it was still really fun, Chrissie the Bird Queen did well, now if we can just get the bring it to Papa part down. Once again a 12 or a 16 tubed to 28 is a compromise, you just don't get the same handling characteristics of a 28 gauge on a 28 frame, it is one of those things in life that must be experienced. Do you have anyone close to you would would let you try their 28, it might help you make the ardous decision you are faced with? Good Luck
A Grand Day to All
Chet Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
britgun
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:20 am  Reply with quote

...a 5 to 5 1/2 pound 16 solves everything!

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

Duncan (Britgun) said it best. I've elevated him to Professor Duncan.

Hey Duncan,

Don't let this post go to your head!!!

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
britgun
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
Duncan (Britgun) said it best. I've elevated him to Professor Duncan.

Hey Duncan,

Don't let this post go to your head!!!

Oh, great, thanks a lot PGGuy..... now I can't get any of my dang hats on....

Duncan

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

I said... "Don't let it go to your head" and what did you do? You let it go to your head. Well, just forget it all. Forget I said anything.

Some people just can't take simple direction.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
britgun
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
I said... "Don't let it go to your head" and what did you do? You let it go to your head. Well, just forget it all. Forget I said anything.

Some people just can't take simple direction.

Duh, just a little slow on the uptake out here in Montanny.....