16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 gauge sxs stevens hulls getting stuck
Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:16 am  Reply with quote

I recently picked up a 50-60’s era ranger 16 gauge 101.6 SxS which is a clone/rebrand of a stevens 311. I have been pretty happy with my purchase and have been shooting it regularly for skeet. I’m having an issue that about once every 25-50 rounds I can’t break it open like normal so I have to pull the for grip off and then it will break open but it won’t extract the hull so I have to go get a knocker rod and pop the hull out.

It’s done it with cheddite, rio, and one federal hull, all were reloads that had been resized. It’s only a slight annoyance at the skeet range but it’s going to be pretty frustrating to deal with once dove season rolls around. It only seems to happen in the right modified barrel(but that is the barrel I shoot the most). My other side by side and over under dont really care that a hull even gets resized they just eat whatever they are fed.

Any ideas or tips to fix it?
Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:32 am  Reply with quote

Put the front section of a cleaning rod in a drill. Put a tight fitting brush on. add a wrap of fine steel wool if you need to tighten the fit. Sop it good with Hoppes and then run it in and out of the chamber. clean out with a dry cloth the an oiled cloth. I think Skeetx calls this burnishing. Did I say it right Mike?

casebro
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

Putting the hulls in a dark plastic bag on the dash of the truck,in the sun, resize while hot.

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

YES, burnishing

and ALSO

check to see if the firing pin is sticking in the primer and not letting the gun open.

Mike

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

Another issue on those guns is the firing pin retaining screw also functions as the hammer stop. On several 311 style guns I've found the screw heads peened over and the firing pins protruding enough to make the guns hard to open. New screws from Numrich solve the problem.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:28 am  Reply with quote

I was thinking much the same. Usually when firing pins drag/ hang up, there will be a corresponding groove in the fired primer to verify it. Worth checking out next time the gun opens hard.

Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:01 am  Reply with quote

Thanks all, I did a little light burnishing to knock a couple small surface rust spots just after the chamber off, I will give the chamber some more love. I will also check the primers on stuck hulls.