16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Herter's 16b Shotshells Still Offered?
ohiochuck
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone know if Cabelas's will continue to offer Herter's 16b shot-shells this year?
Thanks!
Jim
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

I just picked up a flat of 10 boxes literally late last week. Not at Cabela's or Bass Pro but at my local independent gun shop: 16 gauge, 2 3/4, 1 oz #6 lead shot, "Dove & Quail," 1,165 FPS, slightly ribbed purple hulls. Made in Italy. They appear to be brand new -- not stored in the back of someone's closet for five years.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:55 am  Reply with quote

What did u pay?
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:09 am  Reply with quote

I paid $81 for the flat,
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

Sporting Days wrote:
I just picked up a flat of 10 boxes literally late last week. Not at Cabela's or Bass Pro but at my local independent gun shop: 16 gauge, 2 3/4, 1 oz #6 lead shot, "Dove & Quail," 1,165 FPS, slightly ribbed purple hulls. Made in Italy. They appear to be brand new -- not stored in the back of someone's closet for five years.

Were these the Herter's branded shells or something else?

Sporting Days
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Herter's
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:16 am  Reply with quote

Well, Cabela's bought the right to the Herter's name probably 10 years ago. They were selling the purple made in Italy 16 ga shells until 2 or 3 years ago. When Bass Pro took over they dropped all those made in Italy shells in favor of made in America.

We had a thread here, after Cabela's dropped Cheddite, about people contacting Cheddite - who made the purple Herter's shells in Italy - about continuing to make them. They are all very nice loads. As I recall it the Cheddite folks were surprised by Bass Pro's decision to drop them and desired to continue selling into the US market, but needed an importer and distributor to receive the shells here in the states. As far as I know no one ever stepped up to fill that void.

If the flat of shells you bought was a pale grey color, chances are what you got were Cabela's shells someone bought back when and sold to the gun store where you got them. If the flat was sealed there should be no problem.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:16 am  Reply with quote

oopsie. double post.

Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:29 am  Reply with quote

The herters 2 3/4 1165 ft/s number 8 shot, with one ounce of shot, shells that I found at bass pro two months ago are a black hull and have 4 stars on the head which seems to elude to being cheddites. These hulls also a quite a bit shorter when lined up next to a standard 2 3/4” cheddite 16 gauge hull. Maybe mine were from the older run or maybe they started using cheddite again.

These hulls seem to reload decently and I have been using them in some 3/4oz loads using 2 1/2” load data.
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

Went back to the local gun shop today -- and picked up three more boxes of Herter's purple #6 shells (gray boxes), along with a vintage Browning Sweet 16 with which to test them out. Ha!

These boxes were taped up for support -- so I'm thinking all these Herter's shells I've picked up recently were sitting unused in someone's closet or gun safe for years -- probably along with the Sweet 16.
duckdup
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Went shooting at Bass Pro Outdoor Academy last week; they had plenty of Herter's ammo in 12, 20, & 28. I asked the site manager about them and if they were still made by Cheddite. The answer was, "No. They are made by Winchester in Illinois." I also asked if the 16 would be available and was told, "No."

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...