16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Preferred hulls to reload
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

I like Federal and Green Remington hulls. The green Remington hulls have much better plastic then the black RGL hull. Both hulls load exactly the same on my Mec Mark 5 no adjustment needed.
4setters
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Green Remington hulls. The green Remington hulls have much better plastic then the black RGL hull

The above. Relative to straight walled hulls, my favorites are Nobel Sport, PMC and Green Remmies. Most of the rest--RGL, Federal, Win, Rio, Kent, Classic Doubles, Herters are fair--Fiocchis are terrible, cracking brass and splitting plastic. Have not used Aguilia or B&P F2. Suspect Winchester straight walled hulls from around 2000 made in America are going to be great hulls, but haven't reloaded them enough to make a decision. Use straight walled hulls mostly (other than Remmies) for steel shot 16 gauge bird reloads--I have supplied these for about 15 years to four hunters, so quite a bit of experience reloading the above brands.

Otherwise, I almost exclusively have used "obsolete" Win CF hulls since the late 60s without any accidents.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
Square Load
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:22 am  Reply with quote

Picked up 3 boxes of Rio hulls at the range a couple years ago. When I inspect my hulls I take a flashlight and quickly look inside the hulls for base wad problems. About 25% had cracks in the base wad so I tossed them and reloaded the rest. After firing them they also had about 25% cracked base wads. One more reload, 25% more cracks so what was left went in the trash. The cracks run across the base wad from the primer hole outward and are very easy to see. None of them ever appeared to be loose or looked like they had moved. They had red base wads.

Have never seen another hull with a cracked plastic base wad. This includes RGL's, Fiocchi, Cheddite, Herters and Winchester. With the exception of 28ga Win HS I have only loaded 16ga. hulls with base wads.

This is the only time I have ever reloaded any Rio hulls. Wondering if anyone else has ever seen this with the Rio hulls?

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:38 am  Reply with quote

putz463 & Brewster11

For the 2nd time I have reloaded red RIO hulls, 2 3/4", high metal head, red plastic basewad. Out of approximately 175 hulls, 11 have cracked at the crimp folds. The cracks are about 1/4" long. I checked each basewad and found one crack. These hulls are about 3 to 4 years old, and were loaded as new factory ammo for the first firing.

I fired the 150+ reloads at a sporting clays event yesterday. No problems except for more cracks at the crimp ends. All loads cycled my 16 ga. Rem. 1100.

I might get another reload or two out of this batch. For me when a hull cracks or splits, out it goes.

This picture is of the one hull with the basewad crack.

The load I am using is:

RIO 16 ga. hull
RIO Primer
16.0 grains 700-X
DR-16 wad
7/8 oz. lead

Velocity is 1,260 FPS

Don't know the pressure. Going off other similar tested loads will assume it is around 8,000 PSI.

Square Load
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:33 am  Reply with quote

[quote="MSM2019"]putz463 & Brewster11

For the 2nd time I have reloaded red RIO hulls, 2 3/4", high metal head, red plastic basewad. Out of approximately 175 hulls, 11 have cracked at the crimp folds. The cracks are about 1/4" long. I checked each basewad and found one crack. These hulls are about 3 to 4 years old, and were loaded as new factory ammo for the first firing.

I fired the 150+ reloads at a sporting clays event yesterday. No problems except for more cracks at the crimp ends. All loads cycled my 16 ga. Rem. 1100.

I might get another reload or two out of this batch. For me when a hull cracks or splits, out it goes.

This picture is of the one hull with the basewad crack.

MSM,

This is the same exact kind of crack I was getting but I had newer hulls and a lot higher rate of cracked base wads than you did.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

Shall look for the cracks. Thanks
browningsweet161977
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:24 pm  Reply with quote

If they hold shot I load them and have yet to have a gun blow up lol. Base wads I watch but mouthes if the hold shot load em!!

Browning citori grade 6 28" 16 gauge
John Singer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:21 am  Reply with quote

I reload Cheddite and Federal hulls.

The problem that I observe with Cheddite hulls involves the brass at the rim. It appears that gases are able to bypass the basewad and expand the edge of the rim. This gives rise to extraction issues as some extractors slip over rounded rim. This is not an issue for my SxS but is a problem for my semiautomatic.

I have never observed this Federal hulls.