16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Citori White Lightning 16
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:40 am  Reply with quote

The new Shooting Sportsman magazine landed on my doorstep with a nice write-up and photo of Browning's White Lightning in 16 gauge. Very attractive....If I didn't already own a 16 gauge Gran Lightning I might try to chase one of these down. Anyone seen one or handled one in person?
S.davis
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:28 am  Reply with quote

I bought the 2018 shot show version with a 28" barrel and it's my go-to pheasant gun. I don't really have a preference for left-in-white receivers, and I can't say as find the engraving particularly eye-catching, but I hate Browning's full pistol grip, so I was pretty excited to grab a round knob. I don't find it heavy, it swings smooth, one of the best crossing shot guns I've ever shot. All that said, in retrospect I'd just as soon have a 16 ga Lightning Feather, but they weren't being produced in 2018 when I was itching to buy a new good, entry-level O/U, because, well, Browning is Browning.
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

Apparently this new incarnation is the "2021 Shot Show Special." Is any gun company doing more to revive the 16 gauge or tempt us with so many new 16 gauge offerings?

Without Browning, we are left to the European makers -- past and present -- for 16 gauges. Nothing wrong with that necessarily but certainly appreciate Browning's efforts on behalf of the 16 gauge.
Bret
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:19 am  Reply with quote

I have a new version White Lightning in 20 gauge. It's a nice gun. I would just as soon have an all-blued gun but it looks nice and swings great. I would imagine the 16 gauge version would be as good if not better. Wink

https://bretwonnacott.com/
A Millionaire's Dream - a novel
Roadkill
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

S.davis wrote:
I bought the 2018 shot show version with a 28" barrel and it's my go-to pheasant gun. I don't really have a preference for left-in-white receivers, and I can't say as find the engraving particularly eye-catching, but I hate Browning's full pistol grip, so I was pretty excited to grab a round knob. I don't find it heavy, it swings smooth, one of the best crossing shot guns I've ever shot. All that said, in retrospect I'd just as soon have a 16 ga Lightning Feather, but they weren't being produced in 2018 when I was itching to buy a new good, entry-level O/U, because, well, Browning is Browning.

I also bought one of these. Love the POW grip and the Superposed-style rounded fore end without a schnabel. My only complaints - it only came with 28" bbls, I would have preferred 30 or 32 since I use it for Sporting Clays, and there was no option to upgrade the wood. Grade 1 only. Other than that, I like it just fine.
8mmFan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:17 am  Reply with quote

Two years ago I took my sons, then 8 and 10, out to Idaho for some camping and chukar hunting. The older boy was using his Mossberg pump, the younger boy was carrying a Ruger compact .243 for coyote calling. Good times had by all and we covered a lot of ground.

One of my dad’s old employees (then 84) came along with us. Gets around real well for an older guy, but one day we went along an old canyon, hunting chukar in the bottom and the sides, for about three miles. He fell. Got stubborn and said he wanted to keep going, so we kept going. Long story short, I basically had to carry him up out of the canyon, and then support him all the way back to the truck. Long way. The boys were real troopers and carried a lot of gear, while I helped our friend along the way. No complaints at all.

Finally, toward the end of the way back, I had to help him back down into a (shallow) part of the canyon, and up the other side. My 10 year old was carrying his shotgun, and our friend’s shotgun. My 8 year old the .243 and my White Lightning. My ten year old went up the other side first, followed by my 8 year old, then me and our friend. About half way up, I look up and see my 8 year old plugging up the side, with his .243 in one hand, and the White Lighting in the other, and he’s using it as his Alpenstock!! LOL. I never said a word. It got the hell beaten out of it, and I absolutely treasure every scratch on the metal and scar on the stock and buttplate.

We got the old man back to the truck, and it was an awesome trip.

8mmFan
S.davis
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

Roadkill wrote:
My only complaints - it only came with 28" bbls, I would have preferred 30 or 32 since I use it for Sporting Clays, and there was no option to upgrade the wood. Grade 1 only. Other than that, I like it just fine.

Funny you should say that, my only complaint was that it only came in 28" barrels and I prefer 26". I bought my NIB from Reeds, sight unseen and ended up hitting the wood lottery. Very nicely figured stock.
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Well ... There's an older version White Lightning 16 gauge with 26-inch barrels for sale right now on Guns International. $3K. Has the older engraving style, which I"m guessing is 2018 vintage.
canvasback
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

Sporting Days wrote:
Well ... There's an older version White Lightning 16 gauge with 26-inch barrels for sale right now on Guns International. $3K. Has the older engraving style, which I"m guessing is 2018 vintage.

I bought one of those for my son in 2004 shortly after he was born. Presented it to him on his 16th birthday last fall. I ran about 7-8 boxes through it over the years, just to break it in for him. Really like that gun.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
df
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Very lucky son you have!
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:04 am  Reply with quote

Sporting Days wrote:

I have a 325 version with 26"" barrels with a full length 28ga titanium liners from Briley. Beautiful wood . Wish I new how to post a picture on here. Don't try to explain how to do it. I'm old school and would not understand it. Only thing I know how to send a picture is in a text message. Bill
Pockets
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

2 Years ago, I picked up a 20 White Lightning Special Addition. I would have gotten the 16, but the Iside is taking up that space just fine and I have 185,252 20g shells.

Its a beauty and comes up dead on for me.
[/img]

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com