16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Old Issue -Browning 16 gauge BPS
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

I own a BPS Medallion grade in 16 gauge. It has a 28" barrel. Back when these guns first came out, there was a vigorous debate on this forum that went on, as I recall, for quite a while. I have used this BPS for several years, but not much in the game fields; primarily it's used for skeet where I've broken numerous straights..but it is a hardship for me in the field because, at my age (70) it's just too damn heavy!
I'm not weak or infirm either, but after purchasing and using the new Browning Sweet 16 A5 on ducks and roosters, and reveling in how pleasant it is to carry and to swing on game, I just can't bring myself to lug the BPS around. I also own---and love--the original Belgian-made Auto-5's and in fact have 4 of them, in 16 and 20 gauge with open chokes---wonderful workmanship.

Now to my question....is my gun built on a 12, 16 or a 20 gauge frame? On another forum, several posters swear the 16 BPS is built on a 20 gauge frame.....if so, it's the heaviest 20 gauge frame I've ever encountered. What's the "truth" on this issue?

T-Bone
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:20 am  Reply with quote

The BPS 16 Ga. is indeed built on a 20 Ga. receiver...A 3" chambered 20 Ga. one.

Your gun is heavy because of the choke tubed barrel and its 28" length; the extra unneeded length on the all steel receiver contribute to the BPS' basic heavy design.

Your new model Sweet 16 has an alloy receiver; something Browning should have done with the BPS field models to reduce weight.